Did I catch a Mayan?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Uropthalmus are commonly found in brackish water, in fact there is a population that live and breed in the 35ppt saline sea water around Isla Mujeras Mexico They may at some point be de-lumped into a separate species.
I have found them in many parts of Florida.

And I would not be surprised if cool tolerant individuals are evolving, moving their range a little more northward every day.
Consider the genus of cichlids Gymnogeophagus, that live in southern South America where small bodies water ice over in winter. And these Gymnogeophagus need a winter cooldown to survive.

Dustin3006

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2016
Florida
Uropthalmus are commonly found in brackish water, in fact there is a population that live and breed in the 35ppt saline sea water around Isla Mujeras Mexico They may at some point be de-lumped into a separate species.
I have found them in many parts of Florida.

And I would not be surprised if cool tolerant individuals are evolving, moving their range a little more northward every day.
Consider the genus of cichlids Gymnogeophagus, that live in southern South America where small bodies water ice over in winter. And these Gymnogeophagus need a winter cooldown to survive.
We haven't had a freeze this winter yet but It sounds like I should go build a pond for these guys

Reactions: Gourami Swami
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store