What catfish to get

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
How about a lancer? black lancer or harlequin lancer? they get about 9-10". They still may be an issue with the small clown loaches, but if you want a larger cat that works for your tank a lancer would be cool. They're beautiful fish and would be fine for life in your tank. I used to have small clown loaches and I got rid of them for this exact reason. I wanted to get some larger catfish and I knew the loaches wouldn't be able to grow fast enough to avoid being dinner

In case you were using their normal search function, here's the link for the cat-e-log search on planet catfishthat we were talking about. https://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/index.php. You can narrow the results down by water parameters, size, family, etc... Very handy

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
What about Asian upside down cat, it's jet black, can be mean according to TBTB experience, ime they were like blochii in that manner though they'd be a little more active during feeding, more willing to go to the top. Can do blochii. Bolt cat. Sun cat. Ornate pim. Some quick options that come off the top of my head. Don't think there is many active catfish, most cats get active at feeding then relax pretty much except like paroons, IDS, lince etc. which all get to big.

Brianj77

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2017
Lodi and Belleville New Jersey
upside cat are weird and my gf don't like them ,,, we had a 12 inch or better Marbal sailfin catfish in our 75 gallon and we was boring all he did was lay around and hide in his log when we had him .. every time he came out he would break a piece of this log and get a mark on him . Boring catfish

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Yeah that's how most catfish behave. If that behavior isn't for you then maybe you want something else.
+1. The cats that are nonstop active grow to large for your tank. Ones that come to mind anyway

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Mucosus are cool and look like mini shovelnose. I love my albino hemibagrus nemurus, pretty active and only get 12". Everyone agrees they are probably hemibagrus sp and not actually nemurus although they are all sold as nemurus or albino Asian red tail cats.
Mine is 6" in the pic, that's algae btw not dots on him!-)

IMG_20170223_170311.jpg

Brianj77

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2017
Lodi and Belleville New Jersey
Thanks for everyone's help I think I'm going to forget about getting a cat since everyone is saying that the tsn and the tig are no good for the 180 . That's the only cats I really like ,, thanks again everyone .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store