Incoming fry, now what

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
Most Frontosa fry now are mostly captive breed. I would QT them and watch for ich the most common disease in this hobby. Also, try to keep them all together in same tank rather then split them up, they will happier with large group and they are extremely slow grower. I would remove the pleco since it's a pooping machine and down grade your water constantly and not benefit to Frontosa fry. Some folks will say large (50%~75%) water change is bad for frontosa but I would say it's not true since most fry are now captive breed so they are somewhat adapted to our modern world life style :) I"m doing 50%~75% water change per week to keep nitrate below 40 ppm and ny fronts are happy with the WC schedule.
I'm not to worried about the pleco, I have heavy filtration with not much bio load and daily water changes, my nitrates barely register.

Ah. My apologies. I mis-read. Frontosa are slow growers. You may be waiting for a while if you decide to grow them out. At those sizes, it shouldn't be too much of an issue depending on what your existing stock is. It would help to rearrange the tank right before adding the new fish. What size tank?
Right now there's 5 kapampa and one adult pleco, it's a 210 + about 20 gallons extra with a small sump.

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store