Ever have a fish want to breed w/ anything but it's own??

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
Anyone ever had a fish that just refused it's own kind? The 1st pic is of a Rapps HRP I got a few years back and is still going strong. It was unique vs. the rest of the batch (see 2nd pic for the typical blue the others were). It was more platinum, had a larger and more red tail, and was more aggressive. Anyway, it wanted nothing to do w/ HRP females, no matter how many times I tried. But it would try to breed w/ just about any other CA I put it with. The 3rd pic is a Rio Cabuya Siquia I let him breed w/ and the 4th is the only one of their offspring that I raised. He was beautiful and aggressive!! His latest attempt is w/ a Freddy (last pic). I had recently posted wondering if it was a male or female. Well now I know, as they are courting and defending an area of the tank together. I may raise one or two just for the curiosity of it - a HRP/Freddy would be one weird mix. I've just never had a fish so willing to breed but wanted nothing to do w/ it's own kind. Interesting...

Oh yeah, last pic w/ Freddy shows an Escondido w/ a jacked up jaw from a fight a while back. It is eating fine, but looks messed up on just that side. Any suggestions, or just have to live w/ it?
HRP 9-21-2016.jpg HRP 1, 2013.JPG Rio Cabuya Female 2.JPG Hybrid 6.JPG Freddy 2-22-2017.JPG

HRP 9-21-2016.jpg HRP 1, 2013.JPG Rio Cabuya Female 2.JPG Hybrid 6.JPG Freddy 2-22-2017.JPG

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Convicts will breed with anything lol. My female preferred a fire mouth I had over my big male convict.

Just recently one of my female melanura and my male black belt laid eggs together even tho I have 2 other melanura, one of which I'm pretty sure is a male. They are getting ready to spawn again.
IMG_20170131_192043.jpg

Reactions: Tyler_Wentworth_150
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store