Moving cichlids to outdoor pond for spring and summer?

BigFinn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
America
Right now I have a red devil and a saxatilis I would like to move outside with a channel cat.. I'm thinking since there will be plenty move room the pike will not kill the cat fish like he did the previous one. Is it possible to have breeding fish in there to act as a more natural food source? have others had success with this?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Yeah it's a good idea, the fish grow faster and bigger while in ponds due to bugs falling in and more space, if u add plants to hide in u can possibly have a breeding population of small fish for your monsters to feed on here's what I would add for forage: rice fish , a few tilapia and a breeding pair of bluegill

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Live bearers like guppies and swordtails breed well in ponds. not sure of your location but a double crested cormorant or a great blue heron is a heartbreaking way to end your outdoor pond experiment if your a bit rural. A big fake owl statue helped a little... for a while. Cats end the experiment in the city usually. But your biggest problem might be maintaining steady heat especially at night. DIY everything else if you want but don't cheap out on your pond heater.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have moved a number of cichlids to my outdoor ponds in Wisconsin for years.
Some were able to take the wide fluctuation in temp, some were not.
I found species from sub-tropical areas like Uruguay or northern Mexico did well, species from northern South America or countries like Nicaragua or Panama did not.
I used high altitude mexican live bearers like Xenatoca as ditherers, and fry producers because they they could also take the cooler, and erratic temps. And there were always tons of dragonfly nymphs and other aquatic insect larvae to supplement the cichlids diet . Cichlids like Gymnogeophagus, Australoheros, Uruguayan Crenicichla, northern Herichthys types, and some Tilapines did well.
July cool spells killed pearsei Parachromis and other cichlids that come from more stable environments.
Until I gave my ponds steep sides that dropped over 2ft deep, my most common predator problem was with raccoons, with shallow sides of 1 foot or so, they could easily wade in, catch sleeping cichlids at night, and they would eat the heads, leaving headless bodies on my patio.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
I have done it..
I set up the ponds in May, I usually let the water turn green and put in daphnia.
I don't put my fish out until July and then I bring them in Early September.
I cover the tops of mine with sheets of styrofoam if it is expected to get cold at night (below 60).
I have only done really hardy fish though. I did do Gymogeophagus.. those can stay out much longer.. They actually should have a cold rest period.
You just need to check your local weather..

I cover my large tubs with netting to keep the raccons out. The net needs to be secured.. I use binder clips to hold them on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store