Catfish turning white

beerad555

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Illinois
My 8 inch bumblebee catfish appears to be turning white, I just replaced my substrate with sand and added some fish, at first I thought he had the white sand all over him but then he started acting weird thrashing back and forth on the glass and started looking closer and he appears to be turning whitish on spots all over. It doesn't appear to be ich but thought someone cuold identify the problem by some pics. ThanksIMG_2293.JPG IMG_2294.JPG

beerad555

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Illinois
Looking again at him it is the white sand sticking to him and appears to be trying to get it off by thrashing back and forth against the glass which is not normal for him at all, is there something I can do to help releive him of this problem?

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
are you sure it's not ich? ich always looks like little white grains of sand to me, and I don't think actual sand would cause the flashing, but ich would

ShanerBock888

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2016
Warwick, NY
I have a tank with a few different types of catfish that has a white sand substrate, and the cats constantly have grains of sand on them, and it never seems to bother them

beerad555

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Illinois
it seems as if he is starting to get some of the sand off but it is weird how it is sticking to him like it is, and I am pretty sure its not ich at least not ich I have seen in the past.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store