An urge to add more fish

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
I understand before we add more fish, we need to consider the size of the fish when it reaches its adult size, our tank size, tank footprint, compatibility with the current stocks, our filtrations, etc etc etc.. the list goes on and on..

but when your fishes arent adult yet, you already have a "big" tank, but in the mean time, the tank seems way too big for the current stock, and you think "oh just one more fish would be fine", there are still plenty room for them.

how do you tell yourself if enough is enough?

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerChick5567

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
I believe many people came across this problem, thats how they ended up with an overstocked tank several months later when their fishes grown.. correct me if im wrong :)

Last edited:

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Since i don't have a QT tank and only have one aquarium its as simple as not wanting to introduce new fish as a means of preventing disease into my tank.

I been raising my GT and would never consider adding something new that could make him sick. Its just not worth wasting 6 months of raising him. I am very attached to him now his personality keeps it fun. No need for anything else.

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
Since i don't have a QT tank and only have one aquarium its as simple as not wanting to introduce new fish as a means of preventing disease into my tank.

I been raising my GT and would never consider adding something new that could make him sick. Its just not worth wasting 6 months of raising him. I am very attached to him now his personality keeps it fun. No need for anything else.
Good for you :)

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
For instance, someone have "A" type of fish that requires let say 200gal tank. He gets that "A" fish when it is still like 3-4in..

You can imagine a single 3-4in fish in a 200gal.

Later on he decides to get one more fish because it seems the tank is just so empty.

Then another

And another

And another, to find out 6-8 months later his tank is just too overcrowded since the fishes Has grown up.. but it is too late already

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
Yeah this is very true. When I first got my stock the syndontis was .5-.75" and the GT was about 2"

I watched the tank and it literally looked completely empty, this when on for a long time. He is now coming up to 4.5-5" and he demands the attention all the time. Don't seem empty no more. They synos are much more active and are about 1.5". Really looking forward seeing this guy when he reaches 9-10 inches.

There is no problem getting a lot of fish to fill the tank at the get go and remove them as needed to either new tanks or re home them responsibly though. If I could find a larger GT locally I would of bought it on spot. But only young ones near me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store