An urge to add more fish

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
MTS on it's own is dangerous.

And I agree that it can be very dangerous when the spouse has barely-tolerates-fish syndrome.

But the most dangerous situation must be when the spouse also suffers from MTS. In this case MTS does not manifest as MTS+MTS, but rather MTSxMTS or MTS^2. :D:D

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
MTS on it's own is dangerous.

And I agree that it can be very dangerous when the spouse has barely-tolerates-fish syndrome.

But the most dangerous situation must be when the spouse also suffers from MTS. In this case MTS does not manifest as MTS+MTS, but rather MTSxMTS or MTS^2. :D:D
Sounds like you need to move to Florida and start your own fish farm. ;)

Reactions: GamerChick5567

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
Hello giar; I have been following your other threads about your tank the last several weeks. May I assume you are still considering adding fish to that same tank?
Best I recall you were chasing a water quality set of problems and the last I recall being that you got a TDS meter. I think it was to help determine the difference between the well source water and the tank water. I was left with the thought that you have a bad well. How did that turn out?

I also think one of the members posting in the thread was thinking your tank was already overstocked? The arro by itself may grow to be more than enough.

You are asking the correct question. While it is not exactly fair for me to say you already have enough, that is my inclination.

Good luck
I gave my 3 IT dats to a friend, and got 3 peacock bass instead to com it with 2 oscars and 1 HB aro. Water issue had been solved and it has been stable as expected until now.

Yeah i got an urge to get 2 more stingrays, but i figured it would be too much to handle in my 285gal when they get adult, so i scraped that idea lol

So my final stock now is 3 peacock bass, 2 oscars, 1 hb aro

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
How about we Get some styrofoam
Cut it to the 3length x 3width of your fish(es) at adult size, float it in your tank, disregard whether they are up/mid/low level swimmer, see how packed are the styrofoam vs the tank, then you can tell when it is enough is enough..

What you say?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
The reason I have multiple tanks are for different environments/experiences. I have the 210 for large fish, a Fluval Edge 12g as a low light planted tank, a 16g as a high light planted tank, and a 4g for nano fish, including two Scarlet Badis and a Pygmy cory. Shrimp will come soon.

I don't stock tanks with fish that may outgrow them, so with every new tank I set up, I'm able to keep new fish, not old fish who need more space.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
how do you tell yourself if enough is enough?
I'm going to just respond to your sentence.

Your post relates to impulse control. It's a very normal feeling that is fundamental to being human. (Let's skip the psychology of it.)

While most people have to train themselves out of it to a great extent while they are teens, it's common for most if not all people to retain some degree of it well into adulthood about certain things. Indeed, many people celebrate it as being "spontaneous", although later the same people may call it reckless or selfish. (I'm not judging. I've made a buttload of spontaneous but highly regrettable choices.)

To forestall it, I try to imagine the result of some of my decisions before I make them. So, in this case, I imagine what would happen if I acquired the fish and all of the fish I had grew to their expected size. I foresee whether or not that is going to be a problem, and I act accordingly.

I found that once I did that a couple times for a particular type of decision (like what car to buy, or what appliance to buy, what time to leave for the airport), I became more thoughtful about it the next time around. It's like my brain remembers the process I used before and it becomes a habit.

If you don't have a habit of thinking about the fish in that way, it's a lot easier to skip that part of the process. And in that case, of course, a large tank with five 2" inch pacu is absolutely crying out for more fish.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store