Help with cycling

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
It would be great if you'd tell us:

1) what (and how much) you've been putting in both 55 gallon tanks since January 31 and February 7
2) exactly how you do your water changes

Without that information we'd all be guessing as to what is going on which might get us all no where useful.

ZippyTheSnake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2017
It would be great if you'd tell us:

1) what (and how much) you've been putting in both 55 gallon tanks since January 31 and February 7
2) exactly how you do your water changes

Without that information we'd all be guessing as to what is going on which might get us all no where useful.
Tetra AquaSafe I would add half a cap which is 5ml for 5 into a 5 gallon bucket that i used to do water change. I misunderstand till recently about the instruction that asked me to add a full cap(10 ml) to 5 gallon. I do weekly 20 gallon water change. IF things i bad i do 2 20 gallon water changes weekly.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Tetra AquaSafe I would add half a cap which is 5ml for 5 into a 5 gallon bucket that i used to do water change. I misunderstand till recently about the instruction that asked me to add a full cap(10 ml) to 5 gallon. I do weekly 20 gallon water change. IF things i bad i do 2 20 gallon water changes weekly.
So if you correctly answered my questions, you have not added any ammonia or food to either tank since Jan 31 and Feb 7. That would be why you are still cycling.

Your recent ammonia would be the result of placing fish in the tank.

Even if you had put food or ammonia in the tank (contrary to your response), using half level of the dechlorinator might have suppressed the growth of bacteria.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When you say cycling what do you mean?
Does it mean the tank has been sitting with water in it, and filter running, since you set it up?
Or do you mean, you have been adding pure ammonia every other day or so with the filter running?
Or do you mean you set it up, put one or two fish in it, and are letting it run.
1. sitting with water in it, no fish or no ammonia added, with filter running "is not" cycling.
2, setting it up, adding ammonia regularly, and resting regularly, "is cycling".
3 setting it up, and putting a few sacrificial fish in, "is a way of cycling"
And normal cycling can take, 6 to 8 weeks is normal cycling time..

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store