Flowerhorn has missing scales and has swim bladder disease

MokeLife808

Feeder Fish
Mar 15, 2017
Hi my juvenile flowerhorn which I got not too long ago was fine when I got it but the next day the fish was on its side at the top of the tank. I think I may have fed it too many floating pellets the first day. I've already started fasting the fh for a day now and the floating on its side subsided but seems to float near the tube of the filter and near the heater. I've noticed some scales missing on the under belly and on one side of the fish. Could it be because the fish may have gotten close to my heater or could it be something else? Thanks in advance

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Maybe he scraped against something like the intake or rested on the heater if he lost his balance. Perhaps he is extremely bloated from pellets and is having a hard time passing them. Try feeding him some peas if you think that's the case. For the scale problem it should heal on it's own with lots of water changes or aquarium salt. use 1tbsp per 5 gallons.

Also, what are your water parameters? How big is the tank and is the tank cycled all the way? Was the fish acting strange at the store?

MokeLife808

Feeder Fish
Mar 15, 2017
Maybe he scraped against something like the intake or rested on the heater if he lost his balance. Perhaps he is extremely bloated from pellets and is having a hard time passing them. Try feeding him some peas if you think that's the case. For the scale problem it should heal on it's own with lots of water changes or aquarium salt. use 1tbsp per 5 gallons.

Also, what are your water parameters? How big is the tank and is the tank cycled all the way? Was the fish acting strange at the store?
I fed him two peas and he seems be swimming a lot more. He's not floating on his side anymore and maybe he may have to be accclimated to the new home. I did a water change when I noticed the swim bladder problem. I may try the salt for the scales. My tank is 30 gallons and it's not cycled all the way yet. Just started this hobby about a month ago. Thank you for the reply

Reactions: GamerChick5567

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Hmm, that's a good sign! Make sure you do water changes at least every couple days until the cycle establishes itself all the way and the parameters level off.

You may need to upgrade that 30 gallon later as he grows larger though, IIRC males can get over 10" and females about 8". May want to get a few hardy live plants or dangle some pothos roots in the water to help keep the nitrates down as well. The pothos and hornwort is growing quite well on my 29 gallon with my convict pair. Running a cheap 15 watt led floodlight I wired up to the underside of the hood, other than that the tank is barebones with old equipment haha. I grow the fry as feeders. :D

MokeLife808

Feeder Fish
Mar 15, 2017
Th
Hmm, that's a good sign! Make sure you do water changes at least every couple days until the cycle establishes itself all the way and the parameters level off.

You may need to upgrade that 30 gallon later as he grows larger though, IIRC males can get over 10" and females about 8". May want to get a few hardy live plants or dangle some pothos roots in the water to help keep the nitrates down as well. The pothos and hornwort is growing quite well on my 29 gallon with my convict pair. Running a cheap 15 watt led floodlight I wired up to the underside of the hood, other than that the tank is barebones with old equipment haha. I grow the fry as feeders. :D
thanks a lot! I'll keep up with the water changes.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store