india
DSC_4998-01.jpeg
Here's mine

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
Bro those look like Neolissochilus waynaadensis, not tors, or not tors from India
You're right. I was told blue mahseer. I realize they are not the same exact species but in laymans terms close enough. I was under the impression they are very closely related, but haven't done any research.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
You're right. I was told blue mahseer. I realize they are not the same exact species but in laymans terms close enough. I was under the impression they are very closely related, but haven't done any research.
I think your fish is most probably, Neolissochilus stracheyi from thailand

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Informative thread. Thanks guys, Jib especially of course.

These fish are awesome, and their growth rate is also quite fast, until they reach 16-18", almost 1.5" a month.
I got three puttitora from Wes (his label) at 3"-4" about a year+ ago. Perhaps mine aren't puttitora but they are still under 10" today, more like 8". They eat a lot of pellets and thawed cut fish and grow excruciatingly slow... as all my mahseers.

Jibran, was it you who told me that Tor puttitora and Tor tor are almost indistinguishable? Or maybe Wes told me. I struggle to recall.

How do you black out the background to highlight the individual fish?
Overhead flash timed with a nice professional camera like DSLR.

Blue mahseer most usually refers to the stratcheyi, as stated but my mahseer knowledge is tiny. I do realize though that Tor and Neolissochilus are different genus.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
I got three puttitora from Wes (his label) at 3"-4" about a year+ ago. Perhaps mine aren't puttitora but they are still under 10" today, more like 8". They eat a lot of pellets and thawed cut fish and grow excruciatingly slow... as all my mahseers.
If Wes says they are putitora, they must be, because I get my putitora from the same person, that supplies to Wes too.

May be they are growing slow, because they must be sharing their tank, with bigger fish or more aggressive fish. Like I never keep small tors, with big tors, the small guys are deprived of food, as the big guys are capable of finishing copious amounts of food

Jibran, was it you who told me that Tor puttitora and Tor tor are almost indistinguishable? Or maybe Wes told me. I struggle to recall.
I have both in the tank, and it's only the size of them that helps me distinguish them apart

Overhead flash timed with a nice professional camera like DSLR.
If you have a strong light placed such that the subject is well lit, you can do it in a phone cam on auto mode too.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Mine have always been in a 240 gal 8x2x2 and their tank mates are of comparable size, smaller or larger. They feed ok. Maybe I should feed them more evenly and more often because I feed the tank twice a day with pellets and cut fish. They eat all they can in those two feedings, I assume, and there are leftovers for them to munch on for some time too after the feeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store