Channa Striata juveniles...

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Your friend is some what correct once mature snakeheads can only be kept as a solo fish or breeding pair. However , to get a breeding pair you need to start with a group of juvies and let them grow out together, they pair young typically while too young to sex, and competition/ death matches seem to be required for proper pairing. Even if sexed putting 2 fish together typically ends in a blood bath when mature . So really the options are start with just one , or start with a group and hope you get a pair (often they don't pair and u end up with a solo fish any way , no guarantees with channa)

Reactions: NeppDesu

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Also 3 days is no surprise , it'll take at least a week . They are ambush predators and don't require daily feeding , they'll eat themselves to death on live prey because instinct forces them to be opportunistic so The prey drive on them is insane even if the meal isn't needed.

Once they get hungry they'll eat anything though guaranteed .

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
I'll go as far as saying I starved my Diplos for 2 weeks before they considered anything that wasn't live. I've starved an arowana for over a month for the same purpose.

it can take a while. ;)

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Diplo's , pleuros and even micros can be a bit more stubborn , they are a bit of an exception among channa ssp. because they are much more active hunters who's diet consists of much more live fish in the wild. That's why they have that different build.

Although 2 weeks for s well fed channa is not a big wait! That's pretty good!

NeppDesu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2017
Malaysia
I tried to feed them again today. Much to my surprise, they ate them!

... But, they spit the food out as if it was disgusting. Maybe the pellet is not to its liking? Should i change the type of the pellet? Or should i keep starving them? I am worried :(

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
Wait a couple days try again ! They'll eat them

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Diplo's , pleuros and even micros can be a bit more stubborn , they are a bit of an exception among channa ssp. because they are much more active hunters who's diet consists of much more live fish in the wild. That's why they have that different build.

Although 2 weeks for s well fed channa is not a big wait! That's pretty good!
Indeed, I was pretty happy, I think the competition helped, they bit a few and spat them out, then since one wasn't having it and the other was, the other started realizing he was skinny in comparison.

Result is, one has grown considerably faster than the first one, and therefore always gets to eat before the smaller one, right as it its water (tricked them into eating pellets that way, they weren't having it, spat them right out!).

Once they try and realize that's all they're gonna get, you're very close to a win, in my opinion, so don't give up just yet. :)

NeppDesu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2017
Malaysia
Indeed, I was pretty happy, I think the competition helped, they bit a few and spat them out, then since one wasn't having it and the other was, the other started realizing he was skinny in comparison.

Result is, one has grown considerably faster than the first one, and therefore always gets to eat before the smaller one, right as it its water (tricked them into eating pellets that way, they weren't having it, spat them right out!).

Once they try and realize that's all they're gonna get, you're very close to a win, in my opinion, so don't give up just yet. :)
Regarding this. Will it really work?

If it do work, i am considering to let them in my betta tank temporarily. But, i am afraid that they will fight each other. You know, siamese fighting fish is its other name lol.

Is is okay to let the snakeheads inside betta tank?

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
No, it won't. Channas will not tolerate other fishes, and will only tolerate their kind until a certain point. What I did was put two channa diplogramma in the same tank, knowing full well unless a miracle happens, I will be left with one fish (though I do plan to separate them before that happens, given the rarity of this species here) at some point in the future.

They in turn competed for the same needs, and seeing as one ate, the other realized maybe he should do it too, and that's how both of them started eating so fast.

If you try that with your betta tank, you will extend the wait, since they'll be feeding on the bettas, making them not anywhere close to starved anymore! ;)

Trust me, no betta will fight a channa off.

NeppDesu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2017
Malaysia
No, it won't. Channas will not tolerate other fishes, and will only tolerate their kind until a certain point. What I did was put two channa diplogramma in the same tank, knowing full well unless a miracle happens, I will be left with one fish (though I do plan to separate them before that happens, given the rarity of this species here) at some point in the future.

They in turn competed for the same needs, and seeing as one ate, the other realized maybe he should do it too, and that's how both of them started eating so fast.

If you try that with your betta tank, you will extend the wait, since they'll be feeding on the bettas, making them not anywhere close to starved anymore! ;)

Trust me, no betta will fight a channa off.
Whoops. Thank god i still havent done it.

6th day, still no luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store