Uv sterilizer and protein skimmer in freshwater tank?

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
Is there anyone use them in freshwater tank? Do they do any good? Just curious.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have successfully used protein skimmers with fresh water.
The commercial brands made for salt water tanks are usually not strong enough to work in fresh. Pumpage needs to be strong enough to fractionate the air water interface, and salt water does not need as much because it is more dense.
I have made a counter current one back in the 80s from plans in Aquarium Fish Mag, by author Stephan Meyer. It uses a venturi tube to fractionate

I have made one from plans on Koiphen.com within the last 10 years, that is easier to use, but large. I use it on freshwater ponds, and in a large set up inside

a video of it working below
koi pond fractionation
the one in the video goes beyond fractionation, the lava rock also acts as biofiltration

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I have successfully used protein skimmers with fresh water.
The commercial brands made for salt water tanks are usually not strong enough to work in fresh. Pumpage needs to be strong enough to fractionate the air water interface, and salt water does not need as much because it is more dense.
I have made a counter current one back in the 80s from plans in Aquarium Fish Mag, by author Stephan Meyer. It uses a venturi tube to fractionate

I have made one from plans on Koiphen.com within the last 10 years, that is easier to use, but large. I use it on freshwater ponds, and in a large set up inside

a video of it working below
koi pond fractionation
the one in the video goes beyond fractionation, the lava rock also acts as biofiltration
Could you do a thread on how to build one of these?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I did an extensive thread about 10 years ago, should still be somewhere in the MFK archives under protein skimming, or foam fractionation. I no longer have the details.
I suggest the plans on koiphen.com (Phoam Phractionator build thread)better than mine.
or googling AFMagizine Stephen J Meyer

In the AFM version, I substituted a Mazzuri 3/4" venturi for the 1.5" Hayward spa jet venturi.
Most of the other parts are standard hardware store PVC plumbing.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007

On the smaller counter current I used plastic bags to collect the skim waste

compare waste to tank water

When I dried waste, and compared it to tank water in a dedicator in the lab, the dried waste was 8-10 times heavier than desiccated tank water

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
If I had that money I would have already spent it on another tank.
Most protein skimmers are made for salt water tanks. The Clarity is the only one I know that works on fresh water setups. Probably not cost effective on small set ups.

As far as UV sterilizers, many of us use them. I wouldn't run my tank without using a UV sterilizer. At least they can be sized for tank size. They can be spendy also. Check out the price for the 240W model.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegard...riums-Lifegard_Aquatics-RB5171-FIUVUU-vi.html

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
The one in the Koiphen plans is quite large. I downsized it considerably in 3 versions.
The first Koiphen DIY I made (in my video) was about 4 ft tall X 4" in diameter.
I later made one half as tall and 3" in diameter that ran from an overflow of a 150 gal tank, into a sump below.
I then tried one 8" in diameter by about 3ft tall.

I don't remember exactly what the cost was, but PVC was no more than $30.
The ones made from "clear" PVC brought the price up because clear is about $20 per ft.
But clear PVC is not a necessity, I used it out of curiosity.

It is the water cascading over the lava rock the breaks (fractures) the air water interface and separates the pollutants.
I found the fractionation takes out proteins, free floating algae, and even some microbes.
I studied skimmer waste under the microscope and found a @10 to 1 increase of ciliates, nematodes, and other microscopic life compared to normal, straight tank water
I also used it on a kiddy pool I kept Tilapia in, catching the waste foam in a bucket, using zip ties to lash it to the fence.

Reactions: Angelphish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store