My first true monster

B. Hizzle

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2016
2up 2down
Nearly three weeks in and still no issues. He's showing improvement as far as aggression, as he rarely chases the fish anymore.

About a week ago I bought a couple Electric Blue Acaras, as they were only $5 a piece, and I've been looking for some for a while. They're both about 2" long, so the mota could pick on them if he wanted to, but he has shown no interest in then so far. He's had plenty of time to show aggression too, as I've had the Acaras for a week.

I'm beginning to think my Mota isn't like the rest.View attachment 1240408
That rtm does not appear to be the 11"-12" you said it was if those EBAs are 2". Could just be the angle of the photo? But how is the comm going? I don't think you've posted any pics of the rtm have you?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
That rtm does not appear to be the 11"-12" you said it was if those EBAs are 2". Could just be the angle of the photo? But how is the comm going? I don't think you've posted any pics of the rtm have you?
The EBAs may be shorter. I was being generous with the estimate. Pics of the RTM are in the first post.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
5 weeks in and still no issues. The Mota is becoming less shy, and he's also starting to develop a personality. I can stand about 5-10ft away from the tank and he won't dart away anymore; he only hides when I'm standing in front of it. He'll also come to greet me as long as I'm not too close to the tank.

In the past couple of weeks he's kept to himself, and his aggression is starting to fade away, as he doesn't chase fish anymore. I believe my Mota proves that fish aren't bound to our expectations of them.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
5 weeks in and still no issues. The Mota is becoming less shy, and he's also starting to develop a personality. I can stand about 5-10ft away from the tank and he won't dart away anymore; he only hides when I'm standing in front of it. He'll also come to greet me as long as I'm not too close to the tank.

In the past couple of weeks he's kept to himself, and his aggression is starting to fade away, as he doesn't chase fish anymore. I believe my Mota proves that fish aren't bound to our expectations of them.
So dosing the tank with valium had nothing to do with it ? Joking thx for the update

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016

That's awesome. But 5 weeks is not nearly long enough to draw conclusions. Update us in a year.

And I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but the reality is these fish could live 10 or 12 years, so a year is more a realistic time frame to draw conclusions from. 3 years would be better.

But seriously - keep doing what you're doing and be prepared for the worst (I.e divider on hand!)

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
That's awesome. But 5 weeks is not nearly long enough to draw conclusions. Update us in a year.

And I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but the reality is these fish could live 10 or 12 years, so a year is more a realistic time frame to draw conclusions from. 3 years would be better.

But seriously - keep doing what you're doing and be prepared for the worst (I.e divider on hand!)
I already have one ready.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I found my oldest Angel on the bottom of the tank this morning. By the time I saw her it was too late to do anything; I saw her last breath. It's sad to see her go, as she was one of the fish I started the hobby with.

Although she did pass away, I don't think the Mota was to blame. There was no damage on the Angel's body or fins, which there likely would have been if the Mota attacked her. If more fish die, then I will start to look at the mota as the cause of the deaths. Until then I hope the Angel just died of natural causes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store