Severum lad eggs where they shouldn't- what are their chances?

WayneyS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2016
England
Hi All, some advice / opinions from you please-
Quite some time ago I posted seeking info on breeding severum and got some really great advice.
Anyways, fast forward and a few months back I bought a breeding pair of wild caught greens. Tried loads of stuff, regarding tank with a secluded corner / clay pot / slate, raised temperature: but no luck (in their own tank.) Guy I got them off suggested separating them for 5 days then putting them back together: he'd had them breed in a mixed cichlid tank so fast forward again and after reuniting them on Monday: (in my large tank with Oscar, fenestratus, royal plec and silver dollars,) today the female laid eggs and the male spent time "rubbing his underside" over the eggs and they are both guarding them. GREAT!!..... except they chose not to use the pot or slate but instead to lay on the 3D background of my tank........ only about an inch away from the filter intake for my fx6 so I can't move them. IF the eggs are viable, don't get eaten by anyone and hatch, will they be sucked straight up into the filter? My goal is to move try to the other thank once free swimming if they can make it. Thanks as always in advance for your thoughts and advice. Wayne

WayneyS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2016
England
Hi GamerChick, thanks very much for your reply, sounds like a good idea- think I should leave them be with their eggs for a day of 2 first? If I reach into the tank earlier do you think it might startle the parents and drive them to eat the eggs?

GamerChick5567

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2016
Tustin, CA
Once they hatch I would just move them with a turkey baster at the same time you move the parents. That's how I rescue any babies that stray in my 90. The parents should be ok unless they are really hungry haha.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You may be surprised (or not) that many riverine fish spawn in areas where the current is quite strong. Many cichlids prefer an area with current to instinctually help keep eggs aerated, and free from debris. And at hatching time, cichlid parents will often chew fry from eggs and quickly place them in a secluded spot. Wrigglers also have an adhesive film, that keeps them secure.
If it were me, and I wanted fry, I would either remove the other fish to a different tank, or try to put in a divider, keeping the other fish from the spawning area.

WayneyS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2016
England
Thanks Duane, appreciate your knowledge, unfortunately by last night about half of the eggs had turned white, by this morning none were visible at all grrrrr!...... hopefully they might try again, (somewhere a bit more sensible). Anyone have any idea about spawning frequency, I know I'll likely have a long wait, but weeks or months if they want to go for it?
Thanks again kind respondents, Wayne

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just because the eggs are white, doesn't mean they haven't hatched, although that is a possibility.
Most eggs fungus over as soon as cichlids chew out wrigglers and hide them.
As soon as the eggs of this Chuco intermedia hatched, the pair hid the wrigglers in the up turned PVC cap

Watch to see if they are guarding a spot under a rock, or other sequestered spot before giving up hope.
I often put PVC caps, dishes or coffee mugs near a spawn site just for the purpose of a place for the pair to put eggs or fry. In that way, if in a community tank, the eggs or fry can easily be removed and taken care of artificially.
The PVC cap also worked with nicaraguenses.

WayneyS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2016
England
Thanks Duane, and they are great photos!.... UPDATE: you were right! they did remain guarding the corner of the tank and there are indeed babies- lots of them. Mum and Dad are holding them in their mouths, spitting them out for a while then scooping them up again: "mouthbrooding?" was a little hard to see yesterday (gravel is dark grey... but there was a definite mass moving and today they look a little bigger). I've put in a little white saucer for them and hope I can eventually get some photo's (not got a great camera.) If things go to plan I'll start a new thread but for now GOOD NEWS!"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store