Newbie aquarist!

Terce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2016
I am new to the hobby and have acquired quite a few fish. I am here on the forums looking to learn. I have recently purchased a small Nandopsis Haitiensis , and would love any tips on raising one so small.

Reactions: bobblehead27

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
You'll find plenty of help here. I've never raised a black nasty myself, but plenty on here have, they'll have plenty to chime in on.

I guess, to start, we would have to ask you about any other tankmates, size of the aquarium, temperature setting, water parameters, etc.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Nandopsis haitiensus come from Hispaniola where "no" other species of endemic cichlids are present, consequently they don't play well with others. If you put it in a tank with other cichlids (other than a chosen mate) it will usually try to kill them, if it can't kill them, it will probably die of stress induced diseases.
Haitiensus prefer very warm water, mid, to high 80s, and grow very large, so a tank of 150 gallons would be what I consider minimum.
My male easily hit 15", the female about 10" in a very short period of time, and the pair did well for years in a 150 gal tank, with no other fish, and raised tons of fry in it.
They need very clean water to keep from becoming diseased, my water change routine was usually 30% every other day, with vacuuming of any detritus (although they tended to attack the vac and my hand with impunity, often drawing blood.)

Last edited:

Terce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2016
Love the photos! Thanks so much for all the info. My Haiti is just a baby, i keep the tank at 82, with mopani wood and and a hideaway pot. Feeding NLS veggie and cichlid small pellets that are low in protein. Although in a small grow out tank, i will be keeping he/she in a tank by itself but have not decided on a size until sex is determined. If a female what size tank do you reccomend?I also do water change of 50% once a week.[/QUOTE]

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I always figure 10 gallons per inch of adult fish.
So a female hait, probably needs around 100 gallons, or for a pair 150 gallons.
My pair made a 150 gallon tank look tiny, and compared to the bodies of water they live in in nature, it was.

Reactions: Terce
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store