Substrate color for Super Red Bristlenose

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I've been reading in the polypterus(bichir) forum that substrate color will effect color of bichirs. Well I'm about to be setting up a breeding colony of long fin super red bristlenose and was wondering if there is a specific color substrate that brings out their color

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
Usually darker substrates will make colors stand out more. Lighter colors usually makes it more muddy. I had a some large geo surinamus sp. I grew them out on natural color gravel and changed it to black when they were 6" there iridescence popped on the black. But this can also depends on the fish i also had rays with them. I had a nice marble motoro. On the natural his pattern was awsome but on the black it looked like a low grade marble.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
I agree...brighter colors will cause the fish to fade in their colors. So, darker the better.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Black will be best to enhance the colours

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
I'm picking them up from a friend locally here in dallas I got some nice long fin green dragons from him 4.5 years ago and back then he had been working on adding the long fins to the super reds. I'm getting 5x 2"+ ones in about a week or 2 the good thing is the tank they are going into already has black diamond in it so that works out good. From what he is telling me his do not have spots like you see on some of the ones on aquabid so I'm pretty excited

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
well I picked up the breeding tank yesterday I think it's a 65 gallon I still need to measure it. It came with a fluval 405, inline 300 watt heater $60 in fish food, lights, hoods, gravel vac, fake plants, automatic fish feeder, 2 air pumps, net, rocks(not in tank right now), water conditioner, test kit, 5 gallon bucket and finally fish. All for the low low price of free they just wanted it to go to a place where it will be taken care of. I'm planning on rehoming the fish but I'm going to make sure they go to good homes. The grow out tank will be the one with black diamond so the fish I sell will look their best

20170326_224405.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store