X-mass moss

tankbusterlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2006
Quebec,CAnada
Hi,

How would you attach X-Mass moss to the back of the tank ?I would like for it to do like a wall. My current tank is a tall exagonal tank so it may be difficult.

I would like to try my hand at a planted tank for my livebearers platy and would probably add some zebra danio or some small tetra. I know those fish would not be together in the wild.

The light on my tank is really not powerful. It may not be optimal for plant to grow.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi,

How would you attach X-Mass moss to the back of the tank ?I would like for it to do like a wall. My current tank is a tall exagonal tank so it may be difficult.

I would like to try my hand at a planted tank for my livebearers platy and would probably add some zebra danio or some small tetra. I know those fish would not be together in the wild.

The light on my tank is really not powerful. It may not be optimal for plant to grow.
Most use mesh template and place sparingly onto the mesh and allow it to fill. Also I don't think you need special lighting I know for sure Java Moss will almost grow in the shade lol. Check the forum using the search bar or use youtube diy moss wall.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Just like any plant, without good lighting, nutrients & co2, you won't get the desired growth you're after with any kind of moss. They'll grow in a bucket of water with minimal light but will not be lush.

Here's how I made my moss wall...egg crate & nylon netting and suction cups tied to the back. What's cool about this method is that the moss does not grow or stick onto the plastic egg crate or netting. You can detach the netting any time to spread the growing moss. Note, leave the pointed ends when cutting the egg crate...that's where the netting is attached onto, a little stretching of the net for a tight fit will keep the moss in place. I now have more moss than I know what to do with.
image.png image.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MrsE88 and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Just like any plant, without good lighting, nutrients & co2, you won't get the desired growth you're after with any kind of moss. They'll grow in a bucket of water with minimal light but will not be lush.

Here's how I made my moss wall...egg crate & nylon netting and suction cups tied to the back. What's cool about this method is that the moss does not grow or stick onto the plastic egg crate or netting. You can detach the netting any time to spread the growing moss. I now have more moss than I know what to do with.
View attachment 1242142 View attachment 1242143

Thats awsome how long did it take to get filled in and lush.☺

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
I had this in a low tech aquarium without high light and only dosing excel...with minimal growth. I moved it into a newly setup high tech aquarium it took off...maybe 2 months time and I had the light on 10+ hours daily.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I had this in a low tech aquarium without high light and only dosing excel...with minimal growth. I moved it into a newly setup high tech aquarium it took off...maybe 2 months time and I had the light on 10+ hours daily.

Thank you for sharing ☺

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store