Providing The Best for Channa Bleheri

Rahsk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2017
Dear MFK folks,

I am a novice when it comes to keeping predatory fish, specifically Channidae. I have kept other species of freshwater fish successfully for a number of years and I do understand the basics of freshwater fish husbandry pretty well. With that being said, I recently purchased a 15 gallon tank (24" x 12" x 12") and was quite lost as to what species of fish should I select and model the tank to replicate its natural habitat.

After some research, I read that one rainbow snakehead can be housed in a 24" x 12" x 12" successfully due to its small size and since I have loved snakeheads all my life, I decided to stick with it. However, the one thing that concerned me regarding the husbandry of C.bleheri would be the change of water temperature to mimic its natural environment (winter & summer).

1. How do you know when to mimic winter & summer in captivity? Meaning, do you guys replicate winter & summer in your aquarium by following the winter & summer months in the wild?

2. Honestly, can I rear a healthy, strong & long lived rainbow snakehead in a 24" x 12" x 12" aquarium?

I will be modelling the aquarium to mimic the natural habitat of C.bleheri, however, I always want to make sure that the fish's needs are met before mine are met. The welfare & emotional wellbeing of the fish is more important than my desire to own that fish.

It would be great if experienced aquarists who have reared C.bleheri, assist me with this mini dillema!

Thank You

Reactions: bio902

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
They come from cooler areas as far as I know so pay attention to that but a seasonal temperature shift of sorts will work. duanes duanes did it a lot for his fish

I would not keep it in that. I would say 36"x12"x12" is better for them. They do like some space, and it's more logical given that snakehead don't respond extremely well to waterchanges it keeps the water cleaner. Frequent small changes of maybe 10% max is apparently better for snakehead since they take long to adjust and it can shock them if it's too much too soon. Hope this limited knowledge helps and welcome to MFK:)

Rahsk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2017
Thank you for your response. Well, since my aquarium is too small for C.blehiri, I will not be adding him into my tank because I hate to compromise the fish's well being for my pleasure & ego.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
They are fairly immobile (except for dinner time!), so they don't need much room, but you are nearing twice its size in width and four times in length. That might be cutting it short I'm afraid.

To answer your other question, usually not heating the tank works, depending on where you live and whether the tank is in a permanently heated room or not.

Rahsk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2017
Well, I am located near the equator and the temperature is pretty much warm-hot all year round. We don't get winter or cold weather (except the occasional rainy months). I doubt I will be able to house him, even in a larger tank without a chiller or an aquarium fan.

Considering the fact that C.gachua is a native in my country (Singapore) and is well adjusted to the humid & hot environment, would that be a better option? I mean, I have come across sites stating that a snakehead needs to be in a tank that is at least 3 times its body length and since C.gachua maxes at 20cm & my tank is 60cm, do you think it *could* be a better option?

But again, if it is not optimum for the fish then I will gladly choose a species that's ideal for a 15 gallon.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Gachua do need bigger unfortunately.

Rahsk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2017
Ok. Thank you for being honest with me, I really appreciate it.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Ok. Thank you for being honest with me, I really appreciate it.
You are welcome. I was considering gachua for a while but ended up not taking them, and kinda glad I didn't.

There is a load of stuff better for a 15 gallon. Whatchya into?

Rahsk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2017
I have been keeping corydoras catfish for several years and am now currently maintaining a school of 5 sterbai's cory in a 14 gallon tank together with a female betta.

I would love to maintain a species only tank containing one type of catfish that would fit perfectly in a 15G (besides from cories, for a change) but I have been considering a tank for one of the following options:

1. Kuhli loach
2. Climbing perch
3. Snakeskin gourami

If all else is unsuitable, I will get a small school of corydoras catfish.
It's just that sometimes it gets confusing as to what the appropriate tank size is for some species. For example, I have seen people mention that it is fine to keep kuhli loaches in a 10 gallon while others swear by a minimum of 30 gallons.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
African Glass catfish;)
Snakeskin gouramis get beeg too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store