Fire eel in high pH

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
lol yeah that sounds like a typical fire eel move. I'm guessing the intake for the filter has the cage at the bottom so he must have gotten in through the return? What I did to prevent that is squeezed a piece of filter sponge in the gap where the water returns to the tank. The water has to pass through the sponge to get to the tank and there's no way for an eel or bichir to get up the return into the filter
Both filters are closed off from where the water goes into the filter. The 50 gallon one has a cage but the 10 gallon has nothing from where the water falls out of. With hardly any flow coming out of the 10 thats how it climbed in there.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Both filters are closed off from where the water goes into the filter. The 50 gallon one has a cage but the 10 gallon has nothing from where the water falls out of. With hardly any flow coming out of the 10 thats how it climbed in there.
Well it's disappeared again. :) I'm just going to remove the 10 gallon filter with the hopes that it won't try to leave the tank. I'll close all areas the best I can minus the area where the filter wire and heater are.

20170323_222609.jpg

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Well it's disappeared again. :) I'm just going to remove the 10 gallon filter with the hopes that it won't try to leave the tank. I'll close all areas the best I can minus the area where the filter wire and heater are.

View attachment 1241585
Is it April 1st yet? I dismantled the 10 gallon filter and stuffed the filter media from the 10 to the 50 and expected it to fall out of the 10 into the water but nothing was there! April fools!

I checked the entire area again and couldn't find it. I seriously thought I was losing it. Then I decided to check the inside the 50 and bam its in there! I seriously have no idea how strong this fish is but how it beat the powerful current and got in there is besides me. Here's a couple of more pics. 50 is on the left.

1490328228105.jpg

1490328216494.jpg

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
wow that's kinda impressive lol. Maybe switch to a canister?
Ha that would solve everything. I have a canister in the 125 it will go into and that tank is sealed well. I just need to block this guy for a few more weeks somehow. Not sure if I'll go buy one though for the quarantine tank. I'm almost tempted just to put it in the 125 sooner.

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
Ha that would solve everything. I have a canister in the 125 it will go into and that tank is sealed well. I just need to block this guy for a few more weeks somehow. Not sure if I'll go buy one though for the quarantine tank. I'm almost tempted just to put it in the 125 sooner.
Thought I'd post my solution to the escape artist. Lowered the water level! Now it has zero chance to jump into the filters. My only concern now is that there is a ton of flow in this small tank. The 50 gallon filter is beating down the water in the 20 gallom tank. But at least I know the fire eel won't end up shriveled up on the floor dead.

Reactions: ShanerBock888

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
I've had a TT swim upstream into an AC110 and stay there for a few weeks. I had no idea and he scared the crap out of me.

On a related note, I had to build a spray bar return for my fx5 to prevent my TT from swimming up into the canister during the automatic 2 minute daily air purge. Something to consider if canister shopping :)

O

Reactions: Irecruitfish

Irecruitfish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2016
Chicago area
I've had a TT swim upstream into an AC110 and stay there for a few weeks. I had no idea and he scared the crap out of me.

On a related note, I had to build a spray bar return for my fx5 to prevent my TT from swimming up into the canister during the automatic 2 minute daily air purge. Something to consider if canister shopping :)

O
Haha that's nuts. No food for that long and still alive wow. I read that the fx6 doesn't work as efficient if you have a spray bar or bubbler. But thats still a great idea! I'll see how it goes but I figure if I give the fire eel enough hiding spots he won't try to venture in there but if he does he'll get blasted by some serious water pressure.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
I know its been a couple weeks for this thread, but i actually got to watch my tire track swim out the output of my fx5 the other day. i had no idea he was in there or how long he had been in there. i unplugged the filter to untangle some wiring under the stand and while im sitting there with the filter off he just swims right out of the output. i never saw him swim into it so for all i know he was in the filter before hand, maybe got up the lines during one of the purge cycles. not a super small eel either. hes about 10 or 11" and pretty fat for a tiretrack, maybe still small for the species but thats a decent sized fish to be swimming through 1" filter lines

Reactions: Irecruitfish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store