Scavengers/clean up crew

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Severum, festivum and chocolates for SA cichlids. I had a Geo Tapajos that ended up chow when I was gone for a few days, constantly being right on the sandbed made him a prime target. A larger specimens would have worked better/longer. My cichlids eat a lot of food before it gets to the rays, something to consider when you want to get the ray on other food.
Chocolates are another species I had considered.
My ray is eating prawns, bloodworms and earthworms. She is 3 years old and the previous keeper said she is very laid back and has not eaten fish as small as a zebra danio.
Having said that, I don't want to take any chances. I would love a shoal of silver dollars but also a cichlid or catfish that would eat any bits left between rocks or branches.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Chocolates are another species I had considered.
My ray is eating prawns, bloodworms and earthworms. She is 3 years old and the previous keeper said she is very laid back and has not eaten fish as small as a zebra danio.
Having said that, I don't want to take any chances. I would love a shoal of silver dollars but also a cichlid or catfish that would eat any bits left between rocks or branches.
I think retics have smaller mouths and/or they just have smaller body size than other rays so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it worked for a long time. I look at all of my ray tankmates as potential meals, I think your female will keep growing too. Is she in your hands? I wouldn't mind a pic to confirm health and stuff.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think retics have smaller mouths and/or they just have smaller body size than other rays so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it worked for a long time. I look at all of my ray tankmates as potential meals, I think your female will keep growing too. Is she in your hands? I wouldn't mind a pic to confirm health and stuff.
Does she look OK to you?
She seems healthy enough to me.She wouldn't eat for the first 2 days but she is eating ok now and she seems to swim confidently around the tank.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Severum, festivum and chocolates for SA cichlids. I had a Geo Tapajos that ended up chow when I was gone for a few days, constantly being right on the sandbed made him a prime target. A larger specimens would have worked better/longer. My cichlids eat a lot of food before it gets to the rays, something to consider when you want to get the ray on other food.
I agree with Dick. I've had the same issue with red head Geophagus getting taken down. Something larger would be ideal. I don't keep anything to clean up other than a vampire pleco.

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I agree with Dick. I've had the same issue with red head Geophagus getting taken down. Something larger would be ideal. I don't keep anything to clean up other than a vampire pleco.
I keep my tanks more heavily ray infested than you, but have noticed anything small on the bottom feeder side gets beat up. I'd imagine the oxy nigers and pter gran get by on being big with other ray keepers.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Thanks for the replys all.
I added a group of metynnis lippincotianus. So far it's working well enough.
They seem to ignore each other for the most part.
I think I am going to break a 30 year habit and not add any cichlids to this tank.
The ray came with a hujeta gar

_20170325_182028.JPG

He is really chilled out and never bothers anything.i think I will just stay with him and the spotted dollars for now.
It's nice to have a peaceful tank for a change,without territorial cichlids.

I think I have found a new passion now.
DSC_0559.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store