4,000g+ pond in Atlanta. What else can I put it in there?

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
It's gonna take years or a decade for a bullhead to get that big, also they are extremely lazy and will focus on eating fish food.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
It's gonna take years or a decade for a bullhead to get that big, also they are extremely lazy and will focus on eating fish food.
Slim chance it'll get anywhere near half that size in captivity

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
-was that a joke?
they LOVE bullfrogs and catfish are rarely worried about whether something fits in their mouth or not - they can always drown it and work on it underwater until it's manageable.
View attachment 1247514
they don't get as big as the yellows but they never stop growing
-not my image

That picture is teetering dangerously close on an odd-colored channel cat vs. a yellowbullhead. I can't see the whiskers in the front to be able to tell but the headshape alone looks like an adult channel vs. a bullhead.

Actually 100% scratch that, it is a channel catfish so wrong on the species there. I have bullhead cats too and they aren't going to attack a full grown bullfrog I promise you that. Not unless they are well over 6 pounds which almost never happens being that that is the world record currently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chub_by and xraycer

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
The point being they won't become full sized frogs in a smaller pond with catfish. Obviously the catfish will have an easier meal with the eggs and tadpoles. But they will take on just about anything that gets near them and they're pigs. I get paid to take out bullheads sometimes. They're kind of a pest for some. We sein and dredge as best as we can but it's never 100% When you drain a pond they can burrow in the mud and wait it out for quite a while then when the water and new stock is added later they eat the eggs and the babies. Some of the ponds in our area are too close to creeks as well so when they flood over sometimes bullheads will visit their stocked all you can eat buffet- and I get a call.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
But they will take on just about anything that gets near them and they're pigs.
I'll have to disagree with this generalization. I've had mine for nearly 3 years and it is not aggressive with tankmates nor piggish during feeding time. A friend of mine had a brown one and it had the same temperament as mine.

Reactions: predatorkeeper87

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
The point being they won't become full sized frogs in a smaller pond with catfish. Obviously the catfish will have an easier meal with the eggs and tadpoles. But they will take on just about anything that gets near them and they're pigs. I get paid to take out bullheads sometimes. They're kind of a pest for some. We sein and dredge as best as we can but it's never 100% When you drain a pond they can burrow in the mud and wait it out for quite a while then when the water and new stock is added later they eat the eggs and the babies. Some of the ponds in our area are too close to creeks as well so when they flood over sometimes bullheads will visit their stocked all you can eat buffet- and I get a call.
That's fine and I agree they would eat the tadpoles and eggs without question, but bullheads are NOT the hyper aggressive stereotype that some cats get. They are catfish nonetheless so yes frog breeding would cease in that pond. EDIT I have two yellow bulls, 1 I caught full grown, the other I raised from a fry and neither of them eat any tank mates or even harass anything smaller than them.

But if OP decides he'd like to try a bullhead you can't misrepresent the species with a picture of a cat that gets triple the size and weight of a bullhead.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Not to mention Koi will eat tadpoles, too.
Its for this reason that each frog lays hundreds of eggs at a time........hoping that a tiny fraction will survive to adulthood

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Catfish get places koi can't -I'm sorry I just grabbed the first big brown bullhead pic I could find on google there are plenty more real examples of big brown and black bullies that would eat your frogs. I didn't mean to misrepresent anything but I've caught them big ... on frogs. -and I know how fun they are to get rid of when you change your mind and they're established.

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
upload_2017-4-20_12-47-28.png
upload_2017-4-20_12-47-48.png
not my images they were listed as ameiurus nebulosus
catfish have really big mouths they don't have to be this big to grab a frog.
Some catfish are lazy. Some are very aggressive- pretty sure they're always pigs though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store