Aimara - fin rot

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Guys I think my Aimara has fin rot. He's solitary so I don't know how he'd damage his fins otherwise. Took some pics, kinda crappy but you can see the difference from one side to the other. Will test water parameters again but a day ago they were ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20 and then I did 50% water change.

You can see how the side fin on one side is much smaller than the other side.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reactions: moe214

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to say if it's fin rot. Try salt 1tsp per gallon. If worsening then get some maracyn or MB as a bath.

Reactions: tlindsey

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Definitely feels like it looks like his fins are rotting. I tested the parameters and ammonia had spiked to .25. Not sure if such a small duration of ammonia would really cause it though. Doing a 50% water change and will add salt. I will aim to do 50% water changes over the next couple days.

Are these guys sensitive to any meds? what meds should I use? Are they sensitive to salt? Should I also bump the temperator to 80-81? It is currently 79.

From now on I think I will slow feeding from daily to every other day also.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard as seeing the fish in person is better but maracyn, tetracycline or MB bath would be a good choice. Would add salt 1tsp per gallon. Keep the temp at 80 degrees.

Keep in mind any of the meds i mentioned will kill ur BB. So ur tank parameters will need to be watched if dosing the tank.

Not sensitive to meds or salt as far as I know. That amount of ammonia is a small bump and shouldn't effect the fish.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Just bumped the temp to 80, will pick up some salt tomorrow. I will have to read on those treatments. I really dont want to be messing with my BB.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Any changes to the setup that may have effected ph? Maybe adding more dw? Or how recently did you acquire it. He looks fat so surely not much to worry about, I've experience some fishes fins deteriorate a little when added to my tank, I've kind of got a lot of dw for my size tank which I know effects the ph. My fish usually grow them back within 2 weeks and completely adjust. However I have had fish I just simply couldn't keep for to long in my 120. I had an Asian USD and 4 line cat in a 30B just fine, once they were big enough to not be eaten I put them in the bigger tank and for whatever reason their skin deteriorated, rapidly over a few days, including their barbels and fins, put them back in the thirty, 4 line didn't make it but USD did, healed completely and was brought to an lfs at about 6-7". In he 120 I have some other cats just fine. My trachy did seem to shed a whisker and slime coat when first put in.

So it could just be acclimating. I wouldn't worry to much yet, especially if it's one fin.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I've had him in the tank for 6 weeks. No changes to the tank at all and I only have fake driftwood so that ph is never impacted. He eats well and eats everyday. Are again instantly tonight so great appetite. There isn't any sharp decor in the tank that he can hurt himself on either.

Tank is 180g and I do 50% weekly wc. I've taken my powerhead apart and soaking it over night as it looked like lots of gunk stuck all over it.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Also aside from putting wood on top of the tank to weigh down the tops I have done nothing else to the tank and had no incidents that would create stress.

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
it is hard to see in your pics , but i had some fungus on one of my guys , i did nothing and it went away on its own . they are a pretty rough and tuff fish maybe he just wounded himself from jumping or trashing around ? i know my guys do every once in a while .

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
it is hard to see in your pics , but i had some fungus on one of my guys , i did nothing and it went away on its own . they are a pretty rough and tuff fish maybe he just wounded himself from jumping or trashing around ? i know my guys do every once in a while .
Possible. Could be something as simple as light coming through the window and hitting a certain way. My fish, which I've noticed with most of them, go after any fast movements or shiny things whether it be light, a finger, another fish etc. there was a video on YouTube if a guy using one of those red lasers, and having his aimara chase it all around the back of the tank, he also seemed to have high flow in the tank, but the aimara powered throughout like what looked to be effortlessly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store