I need some advice, please!

wiegand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Something of urgent nature requires me to sell off the tank I recently established. The issue I'm having is what I should be charging for the package, being fair and reasonable. The specs are below:

-90 gallon tank (48Wx18Lx25H) with glass canopy.
-stand that consists of 2x4's and 4x4's. (newly built - excessive support!)
-300w PS+ heater (new) & 200w Aqueon heater (both submersible).
-Aqueon Quietflow 75 hang-on-back filter (rated for 90gal @ 400gph).
-Sunsun HW-304B 5 stage canister filter (new). (rated for 150gal @ 520gph - has internal 9w UV sterilizer).
-Current Satellite freshwater LED (new). (moonlight simulation, cloud simulation, storm & lightning simulation).
-Thermometer.
-Power bar with built in timer.
-National Geographic substrate & flat rocks)
-Supplies (bulk media, pimifix, melafix, dechlorinator, bacterial supplement, salt, 8-10" net, cichlid pellets & algae wafers, large gravel vac & 5 gallon bucket).
-Back and sides of aquarium painted with black acrylic.
-Male 5" Red Devil Cichlid (Amphilophus Labiatus) (had since baby) .

It saddens me to do this because I swore a commitment and broke it. I want to watch my fish grow but I must face reality. Thanks for your input. Please be sure to quote in Canadian funds!

20170421_001433[1].jpg

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Honestly, around here in Ohio that setup would probably go for $2-300 American. Not sure what that equates to in Canadian but it really depends on what similar items are selling for in your area as to what you should sell it for.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I dunno...350ish, maybe 400 American..Don't know your exchange rate.

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
I have no idea of the age as I bought it used in November.
The tank is rectangular, lol (it's in excellent shape)
I'd ask for anything from $200-250. That would be on your high end and it depends on what tanks typically go for in your location. Glass tanks are typically tougher to sell at a high price than acrylic.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I wouldn't even bother looking at the ad if it was over $200. The $150ish area would be more appealing. When selling things I try to be really reasonable. Everything is USED after all. And after being moved to a new place and set up they might find something's stop working. So I never see it being fair to charge more for things like pumps, heaters, and lights.

When we first buy things we are buying for our use. Not to make our money back later.
Just my 2cents.

Sorry I don't know the Canadian equivalent. What are some prices you see used tanks being sold for around you?

wiegand

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
I am not looking to make money as I know how it goes haha.
I purchased the tank, canopy, aqueon 75, 200w heater, t5 light and an MDF stand that looked like it had maybe 2 months before it collapsed for $400 Canadian back in November.

Since then,
-I built a stand for $75 Canadian in materials plus labour.
-Added a 300w heater $30 Canadian
-Added the LED light $115 Canadian
-Added the canister filter $160 Canadian...

the rest of the stuff like filter media, bucket, gravel vac etc. will be freebies to the new owner.

I want to be fair to the new purchaser but I also want to be fair to myself

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
To give a general idea:
My LFS, PetSmart, sells a 60gal with a cheap MDF stand & cheap LED for $379.99 on sale (regularly 469.99). That would come to $429.39 Canadian after taxes. That doesn't include substrate, heaters, filters or anything. http://www.petsmart.ca/fish/supplie...ed-aquarium-with-stand-34998.html?cgid=300065
I hope that helps you help me !
thanks again.
Well, this post is telling me that you're really hoping to aim high...like somewhere around the $5-600 mark, I'm guessing. I can tell you that used tanks, even with all of the equipment you listed, don't go for anywhere near what new tanks go for. I think you are going to be sorely disappointed with what it actually sells for and if you keep it priced too high then nobody will buy it.

The equipment doesn't really help add much value because a lot of times the buyer will already have some ideas in mind on how they want to set it up. So, if all of the equipment comes with it they might just see that as an extra hassle of stuff they now need to turn around and sell or put into storage.

With all of that said, I think you're still looking around the $2-300 range with $300 being on the very high lucky side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store