ID and care guide

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hoplo catfish.........looks to be megalechis thorocata.

Pretty peaceful fish with other fish as well. Smaller of the hoplo cats. Will take most foods and not a fussy eater. No preferrences for water except to be clean. Not for a care guid. Can ask thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter for a confirm on ID. He's the catfish guru around these parts!

kje122595

Feeder Fish
Aug 6, 2016
New Zealand
Hoplo catfish.........looks to be megalechis thorocata.

Pretty peaceful fish with other fish as well. Smaller of the hoplo cats. Will take most foods and not a fussy eater. No preferrences for water except to be clean. Not for a care guid. Can ask thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter for a confirm on ID. He's the catfish guru around these parts!
Thanks my man, I appreciate it!

Reactions: tlindsey

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Agree with kno4te. I'd have to look through hoplo photos to ID it to species. It's one of the common ones. Although I kept many of them it was a long time ago and IDK my hoplos that well from the top of my head.

They are very peaceful IME, hardy, adaptable, and will tirelessly clean the substrate and all surfaces in a tank. Just make sure the food is fine enough to fit in their mouth. Their other common name is porthole catfish, for the small mouth, I guess.

kje122595

Feeder Fish
Aug 6, 2016
New Zealand
Agree with kno4te. I'd have to look through hoplo photos to ID it to species. It's one of the common ones. Although I kept many of them it was a long time ago and IDK my hoplos that well from the top of my head.

They are very peaceful IME, hardy, adaptable, and will tirelessly clean the substrate and all surfaces in a tank. Just make sure the food is fine enough to fit in their mouth. Their other common name is porthole catfish, for the small mouth, I guess.
Awesome! Thanks for the info, Ive had him for about a week now and adapted to the aquarium really quickly and eats anything i give him

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store