Behaviour of Anabas testudineus

Rahsk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2017
Hi MFK folks,

I recently acquired 2 young asian climbing perch specimens and they are currently in a heavily planted, blackwater aquarium with plenty of hiding places and subdued lighting. Upon introducing them into the tank (they are the first inhabitants), initially they were quite shy (15-30mins) and stayed hidden, however after a while I noticed that both of the fishes engaged in a mini 'sparring' session where one fish shook its body side to side with the other fish close to it and they both took turns doing it to each other. Luckily no bites of any sort were exchanged apart from body shaking. I am aware that Anabas is a pretty aggressive fish, however after doing research on them for a month or so, most if not all sources have stated them as being social towards fellow perches and nothing on aggression between perches was ever mentioned.

I suspect it could be due to territorial disputes because, both of the perches have their own little 'zones' in the tank and they rarely stray into each other's domain.

But, I could be wrong so it would be great if fellow MFK's who are experienced with Anabas, could assist me with the reason behind this strange behaviour. I do not want to lose either fish as they are both beautiful specimens and I love my asian climbing perches like they are my own children.

Rahsk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2017
Within an hour of posting this, it started to get real violent and I saw the dominant one beginning to nip and bite the submissive. I removed one and he/she is currently in another tank with a school of large sterbai corydoras and 1 female betta. Such a waste that I couldn't keep them together..

Rahsk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2017
Anyway, after sifting through quite a number of material on intraspecific aggression in Anabas sp. I came across a study that focused on the social cues and behaviour of Anabas in an experimental setting. It was reported that after the specimens were housed in their respective tanks (10 per tank), 'aggressive' behaviour was observed, specifically chasing and nipping and it lasted for about 3 days before significantly declining and eventually dissipating.

Similarly, I too witnessed the exact behaviour in my perches although since I had only 2, there weren't enough perches to dissipate their problematic behavior. Hence I added 2 more perches of similar size and after 2 days, I can honestly say its much better. All of my specimens are visible and active at all times, rather than one cowering somewhere while the other constantly chased it and gave it hell.

For those who are interested in the research paper I mentioned above, here is the link:

http://www.iisc.ernet.in/currsci/feb102006/288.pdf

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com