Kayak fishing?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Me and my bro are finishing up our designs for outriggers and some other gear we will be adding on to ours for camping/overlanding with our kayaks in search of new fishing spots. So far we have designs for sails, outriggers, solar panels, a connecting panel to rig the two yaks together into a sort of double pontoon so we have a "table" in between us and ways to hold all of our fishing and camping gear. Going to go for designs similar to these but with slightly more specialized gear to make overnight/weekend trips a possibility

View attachment 1248324

View attachment 1248325

View attachment 1248326
Dang, that looks great!

I think you guys may be able to fish standing up, if the set up is solid and you guys aren't too big. What's also will be cool, is that one person can fish while the other maneuver the rig.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Me and my bro are finishing up our designs for outriggers and some other gear we will be adding on to ours for camping/overlanding with our kayaks in search of new fishing spots. So far we have designs for sails, outriggers, solar panels, a connecting panel to rig the two yaks together into a sort of double pontoon so we have a "table" in between us and ways to hold all of our fishing and camping gear. Going to go for designs similar to these but with slightly more specialized gear to make overnight/weekend trips a possibility

View attachment 1248324

View attachment 1248325

View attachment 1248326
Dang, that looks great!

I think you guys may be able to fish standing up, if the set up is solid and you guys aren't too big. What's also will be cool, is that one person can fish while the other maneuver the rig.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA

View attachment 1248324

View attachment 1248325

View attachment 1248326
Dang, that looks great!

Reactions: Experiment397

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
Dang, that looks great!

Yeah we are mainly doing it for the extra stability and so we can bring the fish in the middle and the other guy can net them and have a platform to measure them on. I don't think we'll be standing i have pretty good balance from years of surfing and skiing but im 6'1" and 225lbs, he's a little smaller at 5'10" 185 but has no balance

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
I think so. Hoping the balance:size ratios will cancel out when we are running parallel haha xraycer xraycer

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I think so. Hoping the balance:size ratios will cancel out when we are running parallel haha xraycer xraycer
I can envision you guys paddling in a circle haha

Maybe a good idea to rig a large keel on that platform ;)

Reactions: Experiment397

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
IMG_8620.JPG So me and my friend had a major falling out so plan 2.whatever is to now run my gear on a 12' kayak and then get my girlfriend and her tiny 5'5" frame into a little 6.5 or 8' cheapo yak and attatch it to the side of mine with some posts like a Polynesian outrigger. She can come along with me and enjoy the water and the outdoors and provide me with some extra stability while I fish, could also bring my dog to ride in the outrigger if the girlfriend is stuck at work or something. Now to just decide if we'll be using sit in or sit on rigs. Im almost thinking sit in because there's a good chance these will be used for cold water pike and trout fishing and those should be drier and warmer

Reactions: Hendre

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
not sure what type of fish you are going for but those outriggers are really not meant for a fishing kayak. A big enough fish will run circles around the kayak and will snag and possibly cut you off. If you want your girl to go with you buy a tandem yak or buy her a cheap yak that she can paddle on her own.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
The outrigger setup will be used for when we go north for pike, musky, macks, and burbot. People regularly pull 40"+ pike/musky and 35lb+ mackinaw from our lakes around here. Could go down south and chase the walleye, cats and striped bass with that setup too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store