Other Kinds of Fishes to Mix with Bichirs?

AnaWelch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2017
Guys, can you give me ideas on what kinds of fishes to mix with bichirs? Is it good to mix it with cichlids?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Guys, can you give me ideas on what kinds of fishes to mix with bichirs? Is it good to mix it with cichlids?
Cichlids, Cats, some species of Knives, Lungfish, Arowana, Plecos, Gar, Datnoid, and many others. Polypterus can live with basically anything that is too big for them to eat.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Treat them like you would a catfish. No tank mates that will beat them up. No tank mates that fit in their mouths.

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
No tank mates that can get them into their mouths. They look a lot like noodles.

Reactions: koltsixx and J. H.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Plecos are not a good choice as they can chew the slime coat off f your Bichir.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Plecos are not a good choice as they can chew the slime coat off f your Bichir.
It's a mixed response. Some have good and bad results with plecos and bichirs. Majority has been the result of the pleco not feeding enough and this behavior starts.

Reactions: clm08k and koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I'm no expert I can only give you my experiences and I've only kept bichirs sparingly and only Laps and Endli's. As others have said stay away from anything bite sized. I myself have been surprised at how capable predators they are despite coming off as rather slow moving in general.

Some cats in the Pimelodus and more peaceful Mystus can become disturbed by them. I don't know what does it, but my Ornatus, Blochii and M. Wolffii get pretty skittish around them; even small individuals. Other more robust cats seem to pay them no mind and vice versa.

The only other issue I see with some cats is on one of the issues I've had with cichlids as well, which is competition for food. As I mentioned before Polys can be slow, even when it comes to food. As such I've had problems making sure the Poly gets enough to eat when in a tank with cichlids and catfish. I believe it's an issue others have encountered as well at least with cichlids. Other then that IME cichlids leave polys alone for the most part.

As for Plecos, well you've heard some have had issues. To minimize chances of problems I'd make sure to try and stay away from omnivorous and carnivorous Plecos. There are strictly vegetarian plecos and you maybe safer comm'ing them.

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I have my sens in with a couple of species of cichlids. 0 aggression issues so far. Even my territorial butt hole Polleni doesn't chase the polys.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
Mine seem fine with my plecos. 2 bushynose, 2 bulldogs and a clown not sure on L#s for them. Feed the bichirs after the lights have been off for an hour or so and they won't have to compete as much for food. That's what I do so my rainbowfish mob doesn't eat all their food

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store