175G DAS Reseal plus modification

TzuDohNihm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
MFKers,

This is my first post and if this thread needs to be moved to Setup I can delete and repost it or if you have mods and they wish to move it for me I would appreciate it. Long post ahead so my apologies for that but I hope for sound advice from the community.

I have recently come into possession of a 175G Dutch Aquarium System Flatback Hex in need of a reseal at the very least and I am considering a slight modification and would like some advice. The story I was told was that the original owner purchased this tank years ago in Europe and had it set up and running in the States for years as well as a planted Tropheus tank. At some point he moved it from one room of his house to another and noticed a leak. He began the process of resealing it and it wasn't very pretty. If you are looking at the tank from the front the far right external hex seal appeared to be factory original, the second and third external seals(moving to the left) were ugly and definitely done freehand with no taping or thought given to it and the fourth seal on the far left was clean as a whistle. The lady I purchased the tank from said her husband began the process of resealing his tank and passed away before he could finish it and it has sat empty in her living room the past four years.

In the attached pictures you can see the tank has an integrated wood frame/canopy. The glass is attached to the inside of that wood top and bottom. You can also make out the two ugly seals if not just the right side seal. I have scraped all the interior silicone and about 99% of the four hex seams in preparation to rehabilitate this beautiful tank. My original idea was to just follow the umpteen YouTube videos I have watched and tape and seal it up with GE1, fill in the hex gaps with plenty of GE 1 and see where things went.

As my internet rabbit hole research went that evolved into Momentive RTV 108 for reasons you'll see below.

Now, as you can hopefully see in the other two pictures the hex gaps I mention are gaps indeed. For whatever reason in the manufacture of this tank the glass was not mitered and there exist triangular gaps at each of the hex locations. As I said above one of the seals appeared to be a very nice factory looking silicone strip that came out in one long strip. I am thinking(correct me if I am wrong) that the wood frame is providing quite a bit of structural integrity to the tank therefore the lack of mitering. Again with the internet research but it seems(correct if wrong yet again) that the Momentive RTV 108 is stronger than the GE1 therefore a better choice for filling these gaps for added strength and peace of mind. So the plan became to follow the umpteen YouTube videos I have watched and tape and seal it up with 108, fill in the hex gaps with plenty of 108 and see where things went.

Then my father-in-law suggested a slight modification. Triangular pieces of glass siliconed into the gaps to provide additional structural support. Since I do not believe I can post links as a new member I will entreat those of you who have stuck around this long to Google the following item, Simax Borosilicate Triangular Glass Rod. The link should be for Pegasus Glass. So his suggestion is to find a triangular glass rod like that of appropriate size not to completely fill the gaps but slightly smaller so as to still be able to get silicone in the space around it and then to well... follow the umpteen YouTube videos I have watched and tape and seal it up with 108, fill in the hex gaps with triangular glass rods, plenty of 108 and see where things go.

Your advice will be well appreciated and if things go to plan I hope to stay a community member once the tank is functional.

018.JPG

020.JPG

017.JPG

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

TzuDohNihm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
Anyone? Is the wood frame providing enough structural support that silicone filling the gaps will suffice or is the tank construction without the mitering an odd occurrence and utilizing the glass rods as a backfill device a possibly good idea?

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
The glass rods seem a bit over the top to me, however I'm not an engineer, that's just my .02.

As far as the wood frame across the bottom of your tank: If your DAS tank is built anything like mine (see my signature for the 345 build) then I would imagine its more for visual appeal than it is for any structural support. My bottom panel (tank floor) isn't glass but wood covered with something that either is or is like F.R.P., the front of the entire panel is finished with some type of water resistant finish and appears to be attached directly to the front pane (viewing glass). So in my case, the bottom trim is nothing more than that, "trim" it's just there to make everything pretty...

However if your bottom frame is glass, then I guess there is always the possibility that the wood is some type of brace.

Nice looking tank btw... make sure to keep us updated once you get it all fixed up and running

Reactions: TzuDohNihm

TzuDohNihm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
Thank you for chiming in!

WRT the wood frame I was talking more about the top canopy part which is integrated to the tank than the bottom as far as support(along with the glass braces inside). I added another pic so you can see the glass coming to the top on the inside of the tank. On the left you can see the glass comes about 4-6 inches up into the canopy to a black plastic frame and is attached to it. The glass goes down into the trim on the bottom about an inch.

In the next two pics you can see the bottom of the tank is two pieces of glass sitting on a wood panel that the bottom wood trim is attached to.

Let me ask you this about the glass rods and your tank from your link... is your glass mitered and touching or is the silicone filling a large gap?

Thank you for any response you can offer!

IMAG0305.jpg

IMAG0309.jpg

IMAG0310.jpg

IMAG0306.jpg

IMAG0309.jpg

IMAG0310.jpg

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Thank you for chiming in!

WRT the wood frame I was talking more about the top canopy part which is integrated to the tank than the bottom as far as support(along with the glass braces inside). I added another pic so you can see the glass coming to the top on the inside of the tank. On the left you can see the glass comes about 4-6 inches up into the canopy to a black plastic frame and is attached to it. The glass goes down into the trim on the bottom about an inch.

In the next two pics you can see the bottom of the tank is two pieces of glass sitting on a wood panel that the bottom wood trim is attached to.

Let me ask you this about the glass rods and your tank from your link... is your glass mitered and touching or is the silicone filling a large gap?

Thank you for any response you can offer!
Yeah, I see the frame you are taking about now, the top frame definitely appears to be part of the structure and the euro bracing on your tank looks pretty nice, if you are planning to do some silicone work, I'd definitely check and repair the silicone on it as it appears to be your main bracing (although its a little strange that its connected to the overflow/filter box).

The bottom being two planes that butt together is a trip as well but no weirder than my FRP bottom! I guess DAS just liked doing strange things...

...As far as my glass, no, it does not seem to be mitered like it should be to allow for a tighter fit, the tolerances seem to be about the same as what you've shown. I just finished re-sealing my tank myself (moved into a new place and figured I might as well while its dry) Luckily all of my seals were holding up well before my tear down so I just stripped and replaced my interior seals.

I wish you luck on the repair/build!

Last edited:
Reactions: TzuDohNihm

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Looks like a lizard tank to me.:(

TzuDohNihm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, I see the frame you are taking about now, the top frame definitely appears to be part of the structure and the euro bracing on your tank looks pretty nice, if you are planning to do some silicone work, I'd definitely check and repair the silicone on it as it appears to be your main bracing (although its a little strange that its connected to the overflow/filter box).
I am pretty sure they did some sort of high strength epoxy holding that bracing to the glass as it ain't budging one bit. That one brace going to the overflow box wasn't attached it just came very close to it. The pic below is where I removed the box to reseal the sections behind it. I'm sure that cross brace is there for lighting purposes so that side of the tank wasn't left in the dark.

I have had zero luck getting in touch with DAS themselves but finally spoke to a dealer today and found out the gaps are pretty standard and silicone alone should be sufficient but glass rods "if you have something like that might not be a bad idea on a used tank."

I also was able to suss out the back of the tank which appears to be either a thin piece of MDF or polycarbonate instead of a painted background. The dealer said he has often seen DAS use MDF as colored backgrounds in their tanks. So that helps me in the drilling the back section if I decide to go sump.

All the silicone is stripped as of this past weekend. This upcoming weekend will have everything alcohol/acetone/steel wool cleaned away. If that goes well I will tape it off and then locate some box fans and two helpers and set a date to reseal it.

IMAG0321.jpg

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
I am pretty sure they did some sort of high strength epoxy holding that bracing to the glass as it ain't budging one bit. That one brace going to the overflow box wasn't attached it just came very close to it. The pic below is where I removed the box to reseal the sections behind it. I'm sure that cross brace is there for lighting purposes so that side of the tank wasn't left in the dark.

I have had zero luck getting in touch with DAS themselves but finally spoke to a dealer today and found out the gaps are pretty standard and silicone alone should be sufficient but glass rods "if you have something like that might not be a bad idea on a used tank."

I also was able to suss out the back of the tank which appears to be either a thin piece of MDF or polycarbonate instead of a painted background. The dealer said he has often seen DAS use MDF as colored backgrounds in their tanks. So that helps me in the drilling the back section if I decide to go sump.

All the silicone is stripped as of this past weekend. This upcoming weekend will have everything alcohol/acetone/steel wool cleaned away. If that goes well I will tape it off and then locate some box fans and two helpers and set a date to reseal it.

View attachment 1248604
Best of luck to you, make sure to keep us updated :)

TzuDohNihm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
Finished scraping the insides, took some steel wool and acetone to all surfaces and I hope all the silicone is gone. I can't see or feel anymore except the structural between the glass. Taped and ready to lay down some funky beads. :rolleyes:I am borrowing some industrial air fans used in water mitigation for drying houses next weekend to air the garage out as we silicone the tank back up.

The glass for the tank is 3/8" so I left room for 3/8" overlap on either side of every seam. I have not yet decided if I am going to insert the glass rods in the gaps between the hex panels but am leaning away from doing so. I taped the outside as well leaving a millimeter overhang although I am not sure of this is necessary and may just go back and tape the glass right to the edge.

When we go to seal(planning at least 2 if not 3 person job) I think we will run the four outside seams first, clean them with a straight edge then run the inside seams, smooth them either with a tool or gloved finger and then plop a couple of silicone plugs on a piece of acrylic or cardboardand place them in the bottom of the tank and cut one a week later to gauge the cure time.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on the tape job or suggestions on moving forward.

IMAG0327.jpg

IMAG0328.jpg

IMAG0329.jpg

IMAG0330.jpg

IMAG0331.jpg

IMAG0332.jpg

IMAG0333.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

IMAG0335.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com