Added 2nd bowfin of same size and they get along great

Codyjphoto

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
Do you foresee an issue with feeding only shrimp or should their diet be varied with other fish, even if frozen, so as to keep up nutrients? I feed mine frozen shrimp at the moment for convenient sake and it seems to thrive. I collected many many shad and froze them to thaw and feed later but I havent put much effort into that simply because they smell so bad. lol

But with that said, does anyone see an issue with thawing the shad and feeding them to the fish? I read to not feed half rotten fish off but I dont know that these count as half rotten having been caught and thrown on ice shortly there after....

Mighty Wizard

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2017
Everywhere
Do you foresee an issue with feeding only shrimp or should their diet be varied with other fish, even if frozen, so as to keep up nutrients? I feed mine frozen shrimp at the moment for convenient sake and it seems to thrive. I collected many many shad and froze them to thaw and feed later but I havent put much effort into that simply because they smell so bad. lol

But with that said, does anyone see an issue with thawing the shad and feeding them to the fish? I read to not feed half rotten fish off but I dont know that these count as half rotten having been caught and thrown on ice shortly there after....
It takes a little while for the flesh to start decomposing, so even a day in really strong sunlight is perfectly fine. Just look at tropical fish markets, where they hardly even have any cooling agents, the meat is perfectly fine. Just try not to unfreeze/refreeze stuff, once it's unfrozen either consume it or throw it out.

Reactions: Codyjphoto
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store