Rolled claspers?

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
This guy is pretty young, maybe a 1 year plus a month or 2 but I've noticed some curiosity happening with my female.. a lot of rough playing.. I'm in the middle of remodeling my bathroom and haven't had the time to watch and enjoy my tank like usual. But I've noticed my females disc is a bit beaten up around the edges..also on another note I was wondering what the salt ratio would be to help her heal and keep infections away?

20170421_204139.jpg

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Doubt you'll need to add salt. Man, that male of yours is awesome!! One of my favorite rays on here. Maybe down the road we can trade a couple pups!!

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
thanks,,, im just concerned about possible infection.. i mean even though i havent payed much attention to the fish themselves i have kept up with tank maintenance. i have noticed though that her disc is starting to turn a bit white.. she is still attacking food though... its always a possibility about trades in the future if they breed..

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Sounds like usual bite wounds but post up a picture. When bitten the flesh turns white when freshly exposed, then the base color will return after a few weeks. Spots and secondary coloration rarely returns, so breeder females almost always end up with a plain looking perimeter after the years go by, especially with black rays.

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
Sorry been crazy busy I will try to get some pics tonight

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
Sounds like usual bite wounds but post up a picture. When bitten the flesh turns white when freshly exposed, then the base color will return after a few weeks. Spots and secondary coloration rarely returns, so breeder females almost always end up with a plain looking perimeter after the years go by, especially with black rays.
This wasn't like this a few days ago..
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <10
Temple 85

20170424_173148.jpg

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
She's chewed up pretty good. The right side is typical. The left side has two tears which usually heal in a few months. The far tear has redness which means it is fresh and still bleeding, tore to the vascular tissue. This is an opening that could get infected. Keep water clean and watch for fuzz or black necrosis as it heals. Will be fine but you'll need to treat if you see those during healing.

The male is trying to or has bred her. Sometimes they keep harassing after getting the job done. Her butt looks somewhat large. Is that usual or has she put on weight? Might be pregnant already.

You'll need to separate at some point if he doesn't stop. Most males will cool out once she's pregnant. Some will keep harassing until she dies. Time for you to study and learn about your specific rays behavior and temperament.

Freaking gorgeous fish. Congratulations on the possible upcoming breeding.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Reading you said 14 months. Tad young but browns breed young. Good luck

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
So in the last 2 days the male has pretty kept his distance.. so putting 2 and 2 together, eit here she knocked up or there was an attempt.. when I got home today I noticed a white film floating around in the tank.. looked nothing like the plug you guys have posted but definitely a possibility

Reactions: Bigfishnut

flukekiller

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2014
gloucester, va 23061
Yeah , I got them a year ago this month, so I figure 13-15 months old at the most. I never thought about breeding since they were so young

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store