Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I have a 55g with:
Pair P. Scalare
Pair Golden killi
14 M. Praecox (Rainbows)
3 Flying fox (on their way out)
I have been doing my waterchanges with tapwater and Prime. I collect rainwater for the garden, though. It is cheaper and should not have chlorine in it. I was going to switch, but I thought maybe the water going over the roof, down the aluminum gutter, and through all those leaves that inevitably get in would make it poisonous?
Please enlighten me. thank you.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I would never use water from outside my house for drinking, washing or for my fish (barring no other option) without testing it. Pesticides, herbicides, viruses, fungus, bacteria, spores, insect eggs, leeched metals. No thanks! I'll take sterilized tap water first.

If it's important, take some water to a lab and have it tested. People can guess and be wrong or you can have it tested and be right.

Or use the tap.

I know some people use it and swear by it. Maybe they are lucky or maybe they had it tested first. I just don't want to intentionally put my fingers in non-sterile water (hands that will end up in my eye or mouth), or place my fish in it.

This doesn't mean it isn't great for the lawn or plants. And sure, if I had the proper equipment to sterilize it and filter it, that might be fine. But I'd pass unless I had to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey and kno4te

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Pesticides, herbicides, viruses, fungus, bacteria, spores, insect eggs, leeched metals.
Unfortunately those can be found in your tap as well along with fluoride and various other strange chemicals. Also chlorine kills just as fast. Test your water either way. You might find that the tap is safer barring a de-chlor -or you may find out the opposite. Unless you're planning on eating your fish in the future they should be fine (unless you live next to a golf course or condo that sprays every two weeks)

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Noone nearby sprays as far as I know. I have chlorine in the tap. I use dechloranator. I don't know anymore. API doesn't t ell me and my lfs doesn't have better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store