Gold saum GT and EB acara getting it on

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
So in my 80 gallon grow out /community tank I have a female electric blue acara and a male GT amongst other fish. She is about 2.5" and he is about 3.5" and growing. For the past month she has been shaking her booty at him but since he is so young he never responded until yesterday. This morning both were shaking / twitching at each other again and they are currently cleaning a flat rock in 1 corner of the tank. I believe they are closely related enough to produce viable fry.
Has anybody ever have that combo breed?

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
It took a while since the female Salvini gave the male GT hell every time the Electric Blue Acara started shaking for him but we have a couple hundred eggs. We'll see if they are viable in a few days. I have no plans of raising any but if I do get wigglers and anybody in the LA area wants to grow them out to see what they look like let me know and they are all yours

Alexxxxsv14

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
anaheim/orange CA
Interesting keep us posted
I think they can produce fry

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
Interesting combination and it's defintley possible. Infact it's happened before, here's the video on youtube -
- Not mine.

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
here are a couple of pics from last night.

you can see the eggs on top of the rock

the eggs are still there this morning and the male was sitting on top of the eggs fanning them. They might have had a divorce during the night since she was on the other side of the tank in a corner and there was also a bit of gravel on top of the rocks scattered around but still a ton of eggs left. We'll see later when I get home if there are any left

Reactions: NW Cichlid Keith

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Not saying your wrong ,just that from my experience its the female that will fan the eggs. Usually after a spawn males will just sort of patrol the area and hang out keeping an eye on things.

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Not saying your wrong ,just that from my experience its the female that will fan the eggs. Usually after a spawn males will just sort of patrol the area and hang out keeping an eye on things.
yesterday she was fanning the eggs and he was on patrol. This morning I had to search for her since he was fanning and she was 2 feet away under a piece of driftwood. A bit strange for sure but I'll see in a couple of hours what's going on when I get back home.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
If they are fertile it would be interesting to see how they will turn out. I suspect you will end up with fish looking like normal acara with a little green to them.
Keep us posted though I would like to see these make it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store