LED light for 24" deep tank

Longimanus

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
BC, Canada
I have just upgraded to a 4 x 2 x 2 120 gallon tank yesterday, from a 55 gallon. I was using a single 48" Fluval Aquasky LED light on the 55 gallon. I have low light plants such anubias, java ferns, and several plants I don't know the names of lol! I can't say I had crazy plant growth with the LED, but I had acceptable growth.

So now I have a deeper tank, and I have been told that LED's are not adequate to reach the bottom. The tank came with a HOT5 6 tube set up, it is great but it runs very hot and I would prefer to use LED's for the cooler running temp and smaller energy consumption.

I am wanting to learn if there are any LED lights that I could use that would reach the bottom? I can't use pendant LED's that hang, as the tank has a canopy. So it would need to be strip light LED's. I'm also totally not a DIYer so something I could buy ready made is a must.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
Satellite LED's rock. I run a satellite plus 48" on my 125. its brighter than both of my dual T5HO fixtures put together and i can make a custom white/red mix that is perfect for plants. also from the same manufacturer you can check out current leds. they have plenty of seriously bright lights.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
its bright enough that im considering getting rid of my T5 fixtures and replacing them with 2 of the 36" planted plus current fixtures to go along with my 48" satellite plus when i install my larger co2 system

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
How deep is your 125?
A standard 125 is 23 inches deep. Very similar to what you have.

I have a 60 gallon and I am looking for lighting options. I'm at the same depth as both of you. So I will be looking at those satellites.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
i got mine from amazon and the shipping is definitely a plus. i dont think the ramp up timer that amazon will suggest is necessary, i typically just turn mine on and off with the remote. ill be plugging the planted specific fixtures into a timer when i get them and continue using the remote for the plus fixture i already have

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store