If your not paranoid about your ropefish jumping then get paranoid!

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Saturday my roommate got me a ropefish to replace the 1 that jumped a couple weeks ago well another one jumped. Because my tank is old and not a common size I have had problems finding store bought lids so I have to make them unfortunately money has been tight till today and I also lack transportation so I have been a little derelict on building my new lids that are very tight fitting so I just have some plexiglass that leaves a gap of about an inch on one half of the tank and a 2"x6" gap on the other hopefully I can get a ride to home depot tomorrow to get the glass, the handles, and the molding to finish the lids since I have procured a piece of backstrip. After the lids are on any gaps will be sealed with tape

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
:(

I'm sorry to hear that. Poor guy.

I am definitely paranoid. I even have duct tape over the heater cord.

Hopefully you posting this will help save another rope.

Reactions: Vancouver_98683

Zilch

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
If you need something really customizable, I use the egg crate light diffuser cut to size then wrap it in screen door screening tightened down with zip ties to keep smaller guys like ropes from getting through. You could also look at polycarbonate panels (like the king of DIY does) and cutting them to size but that might be tough to customize for a hob or canister

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
If you need something really customizable, I use the egg crate light diffuser cut to size then wrap it in screen door screening tightened down with zip ties to keep smaller guys like ropes from getting through. You could also look at polycarbonate panels (like the king of DIY does) and cutting them to size but that might be tough to customize for a hob or canister
I did this for my sump. The poly carb is real easy to cut with a scissor

Zilch

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
I did this for my sump. The poly carb is real easy to cut with a scissor
That's really good to know, I was going to use polycarb for the lids on my big tank since the egg crate results in too much evap thanks to the enormous surface area of the tank. Good idea using it to cover the sump too!!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
That's really good to know, I was going to use polycarb for the lids on my big tank since the egg crate results in too much evap thanks to the enormous surface area of the tank. Good idea using it to cover the sump too!!
It worked ok for the sump on the 150 as there isnt allot of plumbing. The larger sump would have been too difficult with all the pipes running everywhere, ace sells cheap plate glass and will cut it for free, so i had them cut strips that can overlap eachother and used adhesive coat hangers for handles. Will take pics later

Reactions: Polyaddict86
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store