What's happening to my plants?

BoomStick34

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2017
Hey I have a bit of java moss and anubis leaf, the java moss is going hairy and the anubis has started to get black algae, dose any one know what's going on and possibly how to fix the issue

Hairy java moss
20170402_122914.jpg
Hairy anubis leaf
20170402_122914.jpg

20170402_122949.jpg

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
I've experienced the same issue, especially the hair algae in my moss. It's from too much lighting. A few squirts of hydrogen peroxide directly onto the effected area will take care of the problem. I actually spot treated my moss tree yesterday. Simply use a dropper and squirt it onto the plant in the water or remove it out of water...does not harm to my shrimps or fishes. The black bearded algae will disappear on its own but the hair algae in the moss will die but may need to be removed manually.

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
Black algae is a nightmare .. I had to strip my discus tank because of it after not treating some new plants I bought in potassium permanganate .. take out every bit you see and get on top of phosphates ... brown algae is too little light with excess organics .. green too much and excessive light ... black I'm not so sure about but it was a bugger for me ..

SGdiscus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2017
Black algae is a nightmare .. I had to strip my discus tank because of it after not treating some new plants I bought in potassium permanganate .. take out every bit you see and get on top of phosphates ... brown algae is too little light with excess organics .. green too much and excessive light ... black I'm not so sure about but it was a bugger for me ..
BBA or black beard algae is a sign of poor water quality. Usually because there is excess organics. They won't go away by themselves. Can nuke them with hydrogen peroxide or seachem excel.

Preventive is a much better way to deal with BBA. For example, increase water change frequencies to remove excess organics, getting plants healthy and increase oxygen level in the tank. Some koi pond keepers dose low level potassium permanganate to oxidise the organics in the water and to kill fungi/bacteria as part of maintenance.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I'd change the light bulb, change the water, clean the filter. See what happens in the 6weeks after that. Get J. Floridae for prevention.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I used to get the black algae and the stag horn algae until I started using pothos plant. Once the pothos started taking hold the algae died off

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store