I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
As the title states, I feel like I'm doing something wrong for little Bruce. I have no idea on the sex because of age, but I'm going to assume male, and his name is Bruce. Anyways....

It hasn't been long since he's been introduced into his 20L growout, I know the tank is small but he's only 1.5" at the moment and has a 55g to move into in the coming months before going in his own 90g that I have sitting in the back room.

What I'm getting at here is he seems to be very shy, and I've tried to give him the best conditions possible to promote a healthy/happy fish. The tank has been cycled, the water parameters appear to be good, 0's across the board. I'm picking up a PH test kit on my way home from work tonight. Water temp is a consistent 82 degrees, with medium flow throughout the tank that has been buffered a bit to not push him around, black background on the tank, etc. He's got a few live plants floating in the tank, and some rock pilings that he has hid in for days now. He's eating like a horse, so I think he may just be shy. I tried to add some dithers in with him, 3 two inch giant danios. They seem to have brought him out a little bit here and there but as soon as anyone walks in the kitchen he's back in the rocks or behind the heater/filter intake tube. Do you guys think I should remove the dithers, and wait it out? Or keep them and wait it out? I know FH can be shy when young, but if I slowly come up to the tank, he will take bloodworms from my hand. He will come out eventually and inspect you, but sudden movements and such send him right back to his spot. I may have a tard for a fish.

Sorry for the long winded post. If you made it this far, high five.

Brandonclark88

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2017
Very common for young cichlids and flowerhorns to be shy at that age and even until the 3-4" mark. He / she will come out of its shell so to say soon enough. Just give it time. The male in my profile pic hid for the first month and a half I owned him. The other male I own did the same for around a month. Just give it some time and it will be more outgoing

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
Very common for young cichlids and flowerhorns to be shy at that age and even until the 3-4" mark. He / she will come out of its shell so to say soon enough. Just give it time. The male in my profile pic hid for the first month and a half I owned him. The other male I own did the same for around a month. Just give it some time and it will be more outgoing

Gotcha. My first FH I had was a glass banger from the get go, so I think this little dude just threw me off a little bit. :rolleyes:

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
My wife's FH was a glass banger in the store @ 1.5" while also driving the other FH tank mates into the corners. Brought it home and it hid for quite a while until it put on size. We had the tank in a high traffic area and I think it just had to get used to the activity. Now it will smack the glass to get your finger and fights with our cat through the glass.

Naranbaatar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2016
MONGOLIA ULAANBAATAR
well i would recomend not feeding him for a whole day and introduce frozen blood worm for a week or so he will come out of hiding he will be playful it worked for me, and that 20L is way to small even for 1,5 inch so move him to 55g

Circa4190

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2009
Carmel, Indiana
well i would recomend not feeding him for a whole day and introduce frozen blood worm for a week or so he will come out of hiding he will be playful it worked for me, and that 20L is way to small even for 1,5 inch so move him to 55g
He's going in the 90g when we can make space for it. Other tanks need to be rearranged first. He will be fine for a few weeks in there.

Edit: He's also out and about now, I've had him on bloodworms for a little over a week now and he's up at the glass every time someone walks in the kitchen. He just shy.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store