Classic Leos good ole P13

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
more like +15kgs :) I threw out a 'few' big BDs and can tell you they are no joke.. some over 40lbs
That's what my girlfriend guessed. 40-45lbs. Some of those monster females get huge. They never really stop growing. I've noticed my p14 don't get as large. Is that typical?

Reactions: vincentwugwg

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
How wide was she? I always wonder how much the big females weigh once they get 24"+ you think 15-20lbs?
She was a manhole cover. About 30 disk but what was particularly crazy about this ray is the thickness. She was a horse. If you look at that picture the ray beside her is a breeding mature male. Check out the tail base comparison. It always gave a good grasp how big she is. I think a lot of the reason these rays do not get truly as big is that they are pulled from the wild usually young. I never weighed her but getting her out of the tank was a complete ordeal. If you ever see some of the pics from Oliver Lucanus and others... all rays get massive. He has a pic of a p14 in the wild that is mind blowing. Likely the genetics differ substantially like they do in any other animals.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
That's so cool man thank you for sharing bro! Her tail is thicker than my arm. And I weigh about 250

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
She was a manhole cover. About 30 disk but what was particularly crazy about this ray is the thickness. She was a horse. If you look at that picture the ray beside her is a breeding mature male. Check out the tail base comparison. It always gave a good grasp how big she is. I think a lot of the reason these rays do not get truly as big is that they are pulled from the wild usually young. I never weighed her but getting her out of the tank was a complete ordeal. If you ever see some of the pics from Oliver Lucanus and others... all rays get massive. He has a pic of a p14 in the wild that is mind blowing. Likely the genetics differ substantially like they do in any other animals.
Love how at that size her spots still look large. Still has nice lighter base not black. The female in the first pic I posted (TI like spotting) is wild caught. She came in at 8" in March of 2016. She is currently at 14" and passed my captive bred female and just behind my captive male. Think she is going to be beast. Does Skynock still keep rays? Havent seen him around in quite a while.

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
Love how at that size her spots still look large. Still has nice lighter base not black. The female in the first pic I posted (TI like spotting) is wild caught. She came in at 8" in March of 2016. She is currently at 14" and passed my captive bred female and just behind my captive male. Think she is going to be beast. Does Skynock still keep rays? Havent seen him around in quite a while.
Oh yeah. Scotts got a breeding program (not by choice) so spends most of the time trying to get rid of Rays. Haha. his ray sizes are crazy as there were many bred with his Castexi female (biggest ray ever I swear). He has an amazing video of him walking through his tank. Hopefully he shares it on day.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
A 30 in momma sounds breathtaking. She has to be 12" in height. More when preggo!

Leo Messi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
Switzerland
Just a few days ago I saw a pic of an eventually wild caught "classic" Leopoldi that literally had only about 6 spots on his whole body, and not really big ones. More of 3 small ones on the right and 3 small ones on the left side. Was almost a full black ray. Never thought that would look sick until I saw it. Absolutely ****ing want to breed full black rays haha.

Reactions: rudy

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
There is one in the aqua log that only has like 2 spots on its whole body, looks amazing!

Reactions: Leo Messi

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Ok, you guys are making me jealous with your amazing leos and hens. I remember the first hen I saw in person, it belonged to Duckman77 Duckman77 something like 10 or 12 years ago. That was a beautiful ray, nice and clean. Sad you don't see many like that anymore. I'm all for getting more pure rays out there. Hybrids can be gorgeous but there is just something about the classics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store