How to rid tank of copper.

predatorfish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2011
united states america
I bought a 140 gal tank at the beginning of the year for my Asian RTC. He was outgrowing his 55 gal, so he needed a new place. I cycled the tank, and moved the fish in. After a batch of bad feeder fish, I thought I saw ich on his fins. Hearing the old wives tale, I threw 3-5 pennies in the tank in hopes to cure it. It worked. I later got rid of the fish due to its nasty temperment. I got a couple of koi from petsmart, 3 inches in length. I later bought a grass carp about eight inches. They were fairly active except for one koi. He would hide under a log, but grab a few bites during feeding time then hide. This was very unusual behavior for a koi fish. Two weeks after he showed this bizarre behavior, he died. Now my grass carp is doing the same thing. All my fish fairly frequently rub their sides on the substrate. I tested the tank for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates to find absolutely nothing for either category. All I could think of are the pennies I left in there. I took them out, but now how do I detoxify the tank? The pennies were in there for probably a little over a month. I didn't really test for any other diseases. The fish all have no ich on them. Any input would be greatly appreciated. This is also not a permanent home for these fish. I am putting them in a pond I am making. I just want them to survive for a couple more months in the tank.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
The rubbing on the substrate could be a few things, most likely an external parasite or your water parameters don't match what the fish in question need (in terms of pH and dissolved salts). It's unlikely to be caused by the pennies IMO.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I suspect that the pennies did not have much of if any affect on the ich and that koi was probably sick and doomed to die being from Petsmart and all.The rubbing that the fish are doing likely indicates that they are irritated by parasites which would have been eradicated had the pennies released any decent amount of copper in the tank.
Where in the world did you buy grass carp from?

predatorfish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2011
united states america
Today my fish seem much better. I don't think I have seen them flashing or really acting irritated most of the day. The grass carp seems a lot more active, but On his tail fin, I noticed some very tiny, barely noticeable spots. They look like air bubbles. I think maybe it's velvet disease, but I think I should hold off on medication until I'm certain that's what it is. The first koi that died acted funny almost from the beginning, so I think it was just petsmart quality fish. Krichardson, I got the grass carp from a local fish farm.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Pictures of tail please...

predatorfish1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2011
united states america
IMG_0218.JPG I'm uploading the picture. It's hard to see, but on the bottom, outer part, you can see white. If you get a closer look, they're tiny dots. They seem to be somewhat reflective.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Sorry, can't help without better pics of affected area

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store