Other Kinds of Fishes to Mix with Bichirs?

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
for a 90 id think youd want to stick with UJ's but im no poly expert. the Hujetas would be fine in a 90. could do some angelfish, not really that monsterous but they would get to an impressive size in a 90. african knives, X nigri i believe, could work as well. some of the more peaceful SA cichlids could be an option for you too.

Reactions: tlindsey and magpie

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Yeah I would stick with upper jaws - if you look at the stickies up top there's one on the species and it separates them out, gives general sizes etc.

I'm not sure on the dimensions of the 90 - do you all think the big 3 UJs could live in there? I am not sure if they would.... Hopefully others will chime in. (Big 3 are Weeksi, Ornate, Teugelsi)

If you went planted african tank, some african butterflies would be cool for the top level. Even if you don't go planted, they at least like some floating plants. Mine will bicker on occasion and the plants break the line of sight to minimize that.

But yeah, some of the smaller SA/CA cichlids could work like sajica, rainbow cichlids, or blue acara.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Pink tail chalceus, very greedy eaters and not entirely suitable. Mine was too busy at 5" for my 4 foot imo. They will hurt themselves

Tbh there aren't really suitable gar like fish...

Reactions: kno4te

AnaWelch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2017
I will definitely check on your suggestions. The dimension of my 90-gallon tank is 48 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 25 3/8 and it weighs 160 lbs. Isn't it the yellowtail barracuda is one of the smallest of its kind? Are they territorial as well?

Reactions: magpie

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
no odoes. not a big enough tank. yellowtail cudas would be okay, hujeta gars would be better. they can be territorial so either keep 1 or more than 3. thats why i would stick to hujetas. 3 cudas wont leave a lot of swimming space as they are pretty active and thats not a super long tank. delhezi and senegals would be good choices. as would ropefish. ctenopoma would work great in there. the tank is wide enough you could maybe do a lima shovelnose cat as well

i say no odoes because they can be skittish and 4' isnt very far for them to swim across if they get spooked. also they are fairly territorial in small tanks from what ive heard from everyone keeping them. Im looking to get 3 of them for my 125 but also have plans to build an 8' tank in the next 2 years

Reactions: AnaWelch and magpie

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
no odoes. not a big enough tank. yellowtail cudas would be okay, hujeta gars would be better. they can be territorial so either keep 1 or more than 3. thats why i would stick to hujetas. 3 cudas wont leave a lot of swimming space as they are pretty active and thats not a super long tank. delhezi and senegals would be good choices. as would ropefish. ctenopoma would work great in there. the tank is wide enough you could maybe do a lima shovelnose cat as well
What about a long nose gar/ needle nose gar?

Reactions: Experiment397

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86 needlenose would work. i sold a lot of those for 75-90 gallon tanks before i got into fire. the store i worked at didnt bring in any tanks longer than 48" unless it was a special order. i would really recommend checking out some of the acara species as well as some of the calmer CA/SA cichlids like firemouths and sajica

Reactions: Polyaddict86
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store