tips to get frt to eat from the surface?

libingboy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
I have a 3-inch frt. Currently, it is very picky with food, and would only eat apples, pears and frozen fish. I've been giving it saki-hikari floating pellets but it hasnt eaten any of it. I'm not sure whether i should just give it sinking pellets (i have nls and massivore), and then attempt to convert to floating turtle sticks afterwards. Any advice?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Ours learned to eat from the surface by feeding floating foods exclusively. kale and romaine, pear and apple floats also. Feeding no foods on the bottom. Once it is used to feeding always at the surface, it will easily learn to take from your hand. We kept in a shallow 1foot tank to make this easier. Probably would be much more difficult in a 3ft depth.

We don't feed much animal protein, baby frt really don't need it except sparingly until they get much larger. I would start with 100% floating foods to get it used to surface feeding.

Def Leppard Hysteria

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Omaha, NE
I have a 3-inch frt. Currently, it is very picky with food, and would only eat apples, pears and frozen fish. I've been giving it saki-hikari floating pellets but it hasnt eaten any of it. I'm not sure whether i should just give it sinking pellets (i have nls and massivore), and then attempt to convert to floating turtle sticks afterwards. Any advice?
It's normal for small FRT's to not eat foods from the surface. It'll probably take a few weeks or more before he gets comfortable with the aquarium and you, as the one providing the food. You could use a feeding clip and place some favorite foods in it and move it closer to the surface more and more. Once he gets comfortable, he'll be meeting you at the surface of the water every time you walk into the room.

Soomboom23

Gambusia
Mar 20, 2016
Ours learned to eat from the surface by feeding floating foods exclusively. kale and romaine, pear and apple floats also. Feeding no foods on the bottom. Once it is used to feeding always at the surface, it will easily learn to take from your hand. We kept in a shallow 1foot tank to make this easier. Probably would be much more difficult in a 3ft depth.

We don't feed much animal protein, baby frt really don't need it except sparingly until they get much larger. I would start with 100% floating foods to get it used to surface feeding.

Soomboom23

Gambusia
Mar 20, 2016
I would feed him algae wafers they sink to bottom.Its not necessary to feed animal protein like massivore at a young age they are mostly vegetarian.i have a full grown FRT and he eats romaine lettuce,blackberries,grapes,and algae wafers
sometimes i feed silversides.They are aggressive eaters so don't worry about him going up to surface yet.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I've trained mine to eat exclusively from my hand. This ensures it eats whatever diet i want, as it's eager to take from my hand

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Damn how did you guys find your frts. If one every comes up here for sale in bc. It's like $3,000+

libingboy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Just an update, ive been giving it floating pellets (hikari and reptomin), fruits aanchored down by a fork and fresh tuna chunks /fresh anchovies. It refuses to eat repashy for tortoises, maybe because of high vegetable content?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store