White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I also use liquid vitamins (bvc) let it soak for 20 min, it doesnt wash off

Reactions: Polyaddict86

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
I might have to try out some snails next time around, how much of a pain are they to prepare?
They come canned. $10 for shells (for shellies) and a can of snail bodies for you or the fish. They are super disgusting looking and smell weird, but polys and cichlids love them. They are pretty big, so you'll probably want to chop them up. Messy, but a nice treat.

Reactions: magpie and Zilch

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
They come canned. $10 for shells (for shellies) and a can of snail bodies for you or the fish. They are super disgusting looking and smell weird, but polys and cichlids love them. They are pretty big, so you'll probably want to chop them up. Messy, but a nice treat.
Do they have a high protien content ? Sounds interesting

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Reactions: jaws7777

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Couldn't you achieve essentially the same effect by mixing pellets right into the seafood mixture like O does, instead of buying the liquid vitamins? Could give a fussy fish the taste for pellets too

Zilch

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
Couldn't you achieve essentially the same effect by mixing pellets right into the seafood mixture like O does, instead of buying the liquid vitamins? Could give a fussy fish the taste for pellets too
So one of the reasons I like doing whole foods like this is they lack the stench of most commercial pellets. My crew hates NLS and massivore stinks out the house for 12 hours. So unless Im making a gel all those stank pellet chunks would just get released into the water. The liquid vitamin soaks into the meat so I think they're getting a decent amount down without the mess

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
So one of the reasons I like doing whole foods like this is they lack the stench of most commercial pellets. My crew hates NLS and massivore stinks out the house for 12 hours. So unless Im making a gel all those stank pellet chunks would just get released into the water. The liquid vitamin soaks into the meat so I think they're getting a decent amount down without the mess
Ahh gotcha. I know I've seen other people do what I suggested but yeah don't want a stinky house haha

Zilch

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
I'm definitely not set in one recipe, this is just the first of many. I think next time I might forgo the shrimp because they're pretty oily, and along with the catfish I think the fat levels of this particular mix might be a tad high

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
Really like the looks of that mix Zilch Zilch . By no means am I stuck on my current recipe, so this is a great idea for a thread.

I'm also interested in trying out the liquid vitamins. Think they would be very beneficial to the overall health of picky eaters, and looking at the effects of vitamin deficiencies is enough to convince me it's worth the effort / expense.

Agree wholeheartedly on the stank factor of massivore. I can get away with it as my tanks are in the basement away from the main living area of the house but sometimes I catch myself worrying that something is wrong when first catching a whiff...:confused:

One of the reasons I enjoy fishkeeping is the opportunity to monkey with stuff, and putting together food mixes is another excuse to research, experiment, and generally putter around with my fish. Lots of great material and expertise on MFK in this area as well :)

O

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store