New Build ~ 600 Gallon

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
For the apex controller looks like it's for temp, ph, and something else specific to saltwater. Do you know if there are monitors for ammonia or nitrite? I know there isn't anything for nitrate.

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
We were a bit north as well. I think you should try and see if you can get into some off the grid snorkeling. Most of the tour guides know some spots that aren't part of tours. That's what we did. The mangrove lagoon I mentioned was a spot the tour guide goes to on his own. Xcaret is cool but very tourist. The underground river floating there is awesome though. You have to go check out the ruins in Talum. I am a sucker for anything pre-Christianity and megalithic type structures.

We did the zip lines, rock climbing, snorkeled in two open top cenotes and an underground cenote (NOT a fan of that one). Not much in the way of cichlids but I did see a ton of 12"+ uro's in one of the random resorts we stopped by.

View attachment 1249077 View attachment 1249078
Damn dude, you got skinny! Thanks for the tips.

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Will that automatically adjust based on hot water running out, or does it just keep a constant flow from each line?
It doesn't adjust for hot running out. That isn't really an issue because when hot water does run out, the amount dripped is a drop in the bucket compared to the tank volumes. Its just a regular drip system for 20 minutes or so

For the apex controller looks like it's for temp, ph, and something else specific to saltwater. Do you know if there are monitors for ammonia or nitrite? I know there isn't anything for nitrate.
There are no modules for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I wish there were.. A lot more freshwater guys would control their systems if so. There are many different modules that can be added to the system that will work with freshwater. The leak detection one for example is one of the modules I added

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Thanks for the detailed breakdown on the Apex and outlets! You really have thought this through!

Thanks Matt!

This is my plan and logic for wire management and Apex controlled vs static.

Apex controlled (832 bar)
-Pump #1 (Reeflo Dart)
-Pump #2 (Reeflo Dart)
-Pump #3 (sump to tank)
-Pump #4 (sump to nursery)
-300 watt heater (rarely needed) drip system is heated/kicks on at 76 degrees
-300 watt heater (never needed) drip system is heated/kicks on at 74 degrees
-Air pump (tank aeration)
-[empty for future / considering o2 generator once I get the dissolved o2 module]
Can the 832 bar handle that much power running through it? I'm not sure on the limits for it, I just wasn't sure if it would be able to handle all of that without going over it's amp limit? Though I just looked up the dart, I guess they are only .8 amps each. I was thinking they were closer to the hammerhead which is something like three. So I guess you are probably good there.

Second question, rather than going the O2 route have you considered ozone instead? You can use an ORP probe for it which is $50 or $60, it can help kill diseases, clear the water and when the ozone breaks down it raises the dissolved oxygen. Some precautions that need to be taken but overall it is pretty easy to set up.

Seriously the more you post about this build the more jealous I am. Great job, it is all so well thought out!

Reactions: JK47

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thanks for the detailed breakdown on the Apex and outlets! You really have thought this through!

Can the 832 bar handle that much power running through it? I'm not sure on the limits for it, I just wasn't sure if it would be able to handle all of that without going over it's amp limit? Though I just looked up the dart, I guess they are only .8 amps each. I was thinking they were closer to the hammerhead which is something like three. So I guess you are probably good there.

Second question, rather than going the O2 route have you considered ozone instead? You can use an ORP probe for it which is $50 or $60, it can help kill diseases, clear the water and when the ozone breaks down it raises the dissolved oxygen. Some precautions that need to be taken but overall it is pretty easy to set up.

Seriously the more you post about this build the more jealous I am. Great job, it is all so well thought out!
The 832 bar can handle it. It will also warn you via text and an audible if you are overloading an outlet. Technically that is where I want it to be overloaded so I can be alerted vs finding out the hard way. I can easily switch heaters to the static bar if needed. Those are static bars are 15 amp each. The outlet to the panel is a stand alone 20 amp breaker and brand new.

You hit the nail on the head for why I chose darts instead.

I have not thought about ozone at all. In fact I have never even looked it up to be quite honest. I'm old school in some areas and probably behind the times.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
That is pretty dang cool it'll alert you to that. I imagine the heaters will also be controlled by the Apex temp probe rather than just the internal thermostat?

Ozone is another one of those things that is popular on the SW side of things, though it seems to come and go as far as popularity, it certainly isn't a new thing. Some people like to use it in place of UV.

Anyway thanks again for the detailed replies!

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
That is pretty dang cool it'll alert you to that. I imagine the heaters will also be controlled by the Apex temp probe rather than just the internal thermostat?

Ozone is another one of those things that is popular on the SW side of things, though it seems to come and go as far as popularity, it certainly isn't a new thing. Some people like to use it in place of UV.

Anyway thanks again for the detailed replies!
No problem at all, I enjoy discussing this stuff. I know this is a foreign concept to a lot of those on the FW side, or, at a minimum a lot of people have questions. It took me a while to see the value.

I will use the temp probe on the Apex because that gear is much more reliable and lab grade. Heaters fail much for frequently than an Apex.

Reactions: fishguy306

Def Leppard Hysteria

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Omaha, NE
Glad that makes sense. The design is solid I just have yet to see anyone try anything like it before. I'm sure I'll find a flaw in there somewhere.

I don't have the link handy but here is a pic of the box. If you google the UPC code under the barcode or part number (AM100C) it should come right up.

View attachment 1249016 View attachment 1249017

Forgive the condensation. I need to wrap the cold incoming line in insulation.
Blue - cold
Red - hot
White - mix
EDIT: the line to the right side is for a faucet adapter so I have temp matched water to fill or top off without pulling out the phython. I just need to finish plumbing it
I believe Cory, from Aquarium Co-op, runs his auto water change system at his store with a similar mixing valve.

LOL. I know all about condensation on pipes. I pretty much covered our entire unfinished basement area with pipe insulation. I will say it has worked wonderfully.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Ah gotcha. I think I will post a separate thread on my drip. It would just get lost in here. Cliff notes:

-It is heated via a thermostatic mixing valve. The water is preset to 80 degrees before it enters the tank.
-It is four stage filtration.
-Stage 1 = x2 sediment filters (5 micron)
-Stage 2 = x2 carbon block filters to remove chlorine and/or chloramine
-Adjustable per tank - I use drip irrigation line and emitters on a manifold to to adjust flow in 4 GPH increments
Fail safes - mechanical float switches so I do not run a pump dry on restart and am in the process of building a reverse float valve for the drip exit/overflow. Theory is solid and proof of concept worked on a bucket

Please keep in mind the drip system isn't just for this tank. There are many tanks in the room that run off of this system. I have been operating drip systems for years and will never go back. Trust me, you should do it. You won't regret it.
Glad that makes sense. The design is solid I just have yet to see anyone try anything like it before. I'm sure I'll find a flaw in there somewhere.

I don't have the link handy but here is a pic of the box. If you google the UPC code under the barcode or part number (AM100C) it should come right up.

View attachment 1249016 View attachment 1249017

Forgive the condensation. I need to wrap the cold incoming line in insulation.
Blue - cold
Red - hot
White - mix
EDIT: the line to the right side is for a faucet adapter so I have temp matched water to fill or top off without pulling out the phython. I just need to finish plumbing it
Thx man. When you get around to stsrting that thread tag me, if you can remember lol. I have tons of questions no where near ready to tackle it yet so no rush

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store