Central Sump Idea

agirard2003

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2010
Belle River, Ontario, Canada
Hello everyone
Looking for a little feed back on my planned central sump.
I'm taking an idea from a youtuber who is using this method already but i want to add one extra component and get your feedback on if it will work or not.

from the uploaded drawing i tried to make it pretty simple to understand.
Starting at the beginning the water is pumped up to a "T" where 2 ball valves are located. ball valve #1 open on the drain side to allow water to pump to the tanks (blue), water overflows back to the sump (red) and circulates in that manner. To do water change, open ball valve #2 at "T" to the tanks and close the ball valve #1 to the drain and the pump drains the sump and tanks overflow until height over the overflow.

My idea is to have a second overflow on each tank. Set at 50% line so when it's time to do water change.
I would open ball valve #2, close ball valve #3 and let tanks drain to height of the desired overflow. (green)

Would this be possible or will my main set of overflows lose their prime and i would have to manually prime them each water change.
trying to get a better understanding of what may or may not happen in my proposed process.

Thanks

FILTRATION PROPOSAL.JPG

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
What kind of overflows are you proposing? I think a simple bulkhead with a strainer would be adequate as an overflow for this type of system. Similar to how you see fish stores setup

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I use a bulkhead thru the bottom with a 1" i.d. standpipe then a 1 1/2" i.d. sleeve dropped over it. I use my table saw to cut horizontal slots in the sleeve at top and bottom and teeth cut into the top.

Standpipe_0.jpg

FB_IMG_1469230437559.jpg

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Those diy overflows seem like a time bomb waiting to go off

Reactions: Dixon81

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
I ran a diy overflow for a couple of months with a wet/dry, and they work ok for a single tank if set up correctly. Connecting six tanks to a central system using them is way above my pay grade. I think you would need airlift pumps on all of the overflows.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
I'd strongly prefer drilled tanks for this application... especially the 50% overflows. Also, you are going to want additional valves somewhere on your return lines in order to regulate the pressure/output.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store