what's in the QT?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
It's always risky quick starting a tank...I don't recommend it. Sometimes it works, other times it takes just as long as doing it the old fashioned (right) way. I'm a firm believer in keeping a variety of extra bio media in sumps. I even keep sponge filters in sumps so I can start a qt anytime. I'd say this is probably the most important thing I've learned as a fish keeper. The downside is that now there is nothing stopping me from making crazy impulse purchases!!
+1 anither reason why im a huge fan of sumps

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
but technically you can get around in both ;)
Very true...if I'm going to the end of my driveway either would be satisfactory....like running a small community tank, sump or canister, not really a big difference. Getting from my house to the next state over...well, I think I'll opt for the sports car! Kinda like running a 600 gallon ray tank. No way I'm going to get the job done efficiently with canister filters

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
update: ordered some more things and picked up yesterday. Need to learn to haggle when things arrive in less than perfect condition. Spent $89 smh....
$40 my two blood parrots seem sick, very pale and laying up against the rocks in QT.
$46 on the plants that look dead and have lost a lot of leaves.
Hoping everything will get healthy. That's why I am afraid of ordering things without looking at them first.....

Still looking back and forth at that 4 foot sunblaster light for $50.

Reactions: kno4te

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Bummer. How are the BPs doing now? Hopefully it was just stress?

The plants aren't cool though. They should look healthy.

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Bummer. How are the BPs doing now? Hopefully it was just stress?

The plants aren't cool though. They should look healthy.
The BPs are very skittish, but at least are eating. :) They are still breathing hard which is concerning, Still in the QT.

Swords are doing well and I am starting to get new sprouts on the Vals! All the anubias nanas died unfortunately. Once I put the BPs in the main tank I will be able to get and QT a poly! Will check the water parameters today. Hopefully will get some numbers for cycling.

My LFS had a pea puffer that nobody wanted. So I got it for free. Can't say no to puffers...:p Danios are freaking out and all swimming together on the opposite side of the tank.

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Are the QT parameters OK? Why would they be breathing hard? Hmmmm

A pea puffer! They are so cute! Where are you going to keep it?

Reactions: clm08k

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Hows the cycle going ? Maybe causing the puffer the breathe hard

Reactions: clm08k

clm08k

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Are the QT parameters OK? Why would they be breathing hard? Hmmmm

A pea puffer! They are so cute! Where are you going to keep it?
I'm honestly not sure why the Blood parrots were breathing so hard. I think it was part nerves(they are very skitish), but I did a 50% water change and they look a lot better. Perhaps the ammonia was high. They also ate NLS pellets today which makes me very happy! They are also getting more comfortable with the QT and swimming around more. Never had a fish that shy before.

with the pea puffer, I have it in the 55 with the danios. ehh maybe not the best idea, but it's the same size as the glo danios. Kinda getting nervous, if a poly eats it. That might be bad news....Have you kept them before? I haven't, but they are so cute!

Hows the cycle going ? Maybe causing the puffer the breathe hard
the parrots were the ones that were breathing hard, but the puffer has been freaking out the danios(or at least yesterday). It was very odd. It seems everyone is back to normal now. I'm just afraid if one of the polys eats it.....should I take it out?

HOLY CRAP I THINK I HAVE NITRATES. (added in some water yesterday.....no declorinator...let it sit for 24 hours first).
IMG_2733 (1).JPG
IMG_2736.JPG
To me it looks like between 5-10ppm.

What do I do now? am I supposed to do a water change now? Sounds very basic, but I have never had nitrates before. hahaha. I'm excited. This is probably the longest I've ever gone without doing a water change( 3 weeks or so).

IS IT SAFE TO ORDER POLYS !!!??!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store