Cleaning Arowana Tank - HELP!

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Oh ok thanks. So if I do magically go the sump route I still have time to make changes to my aquarium being built I think. Do most people just have chambers put in each corner for the drain and return? I guess they can be hidden by the background
There are a lot of options with your overflow box placement. You can go with a slim low profile clear acrylic overflow box that will be far less noticeable than hose and crap from a canister. As far as placement, it really depends on where you want your plumbing to run. Between return and powerhead/wavemaker, your circulation won't be effected much by where your overflow box is located

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in on this. Probably due to the initial title of the thread. If everyone really thinks I'm making a huge mistake I need to call my custom aquarium guy and get him to start drilling holes or building chambers lol.
Congrats on the new tank. But yes i think your making a mistake with filtration. Not that canisters are garbage and im sure if you add enough of them you'd get the same results as a sump BUT why deal with all of that maintenance. I have had cans fx6 and eheims and theres no way 2 fx's will give you the same amountof filtrarion a decent sized sump will.

Imo fx6 are horrible anyway wont derail with the reasons but the sump is totally customizable baffles, no baffles, simple, complicated basically what ever you want to do.

I would call your tank builder and put the whole thing on hold. If you rush this you could end up really regretting it. But if you take your time and ask tons of questions you will never regret having a sump.

Think about what you want out of the system. Besides water quality. For most of us its ease of maintenance. With my sump all i do is swap out filter socks....dirty ones pile up in a bucket, new ones go in the sump dirty ones take a trip to the washing machine. No more lugging cans around and sqeezing out foam pads.

The main thing you have to understand is drainage. There are lots of methods herbie, beananimal, durso just to name a few.
Go with dc pumps so you can adjust the flow rates and save on electric. Fx6 are junk they just dont move water. I had and fx6 and an ac110 on my 150 gal and it was replaced by a lone eheim 2262.

I built a practice sump for a 75 gal and never looked back. I will never own a tank larger than 75 gal and not have a sump on it. On my 300 gal i would probably need 4 2262's just to hold all the bio i fit in my sump (including foam pads for mech)

Check out the link in my signature. Its filled with tons of crap and me asking endless questions but skim through it and it should give you an idea. I went with dual herbie drains and no baffles because i couldnt find a need for them (deep sand bed ir refugium)

Reactions: Bigfishnut

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
20170425_091653.jpg 20170425_091656.jpg

It looks more complicated than it really is. Im not a plumber and not haady at all but i really enjoyed setting up this one.infact the little contraption in the blje bin ln the left gave me more issues than the all plumbing that went into the sump lol

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Oh ok thanks. So if I do magically go the sump route I still have time to make changes to my aquarium being built I think. Do most people just have chambers put in each corner for the drain and return? I guess they can be hidden by the background
There are a lot of options with your overflow box placement. You can go with a slim low profile clear acrylic overflow
View attachment 1249234 View attachment 1249235

It looks more complicated than it really is. Im not a plumber and not haady at all but i really enjoyed setting up this one.infact the little contraption in the blje bin ln the left gave me more issues than the all plumbing that went into the sump lol
Dear lord!! That's got to be the most stuff crammed into a sump that I've ever seen! Did you leave room for any water? Lol nice set up!

Reactions: jaws7777

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
1) Your personal water change regiment (ie. % of water changed and frequency

2) How do you clean the tank walls of algae and vacuum the substrate with a fish that notoriously jumps to high heaven?
#1- 50% WC once a week.

#2- cleaning i use algae scrubber. i use tile bottom. so no vacuuming.

tank size 7x3x2, 2x fluval fx6, 2 red aro (1 king aro) + 2 black diamond rays

i am blessed my 2 aro get along with each other somehow. ive been tanning them for the past 3-4weeks. i intentionally grow the green algae at the bottom tho. so pardon me for the mess hehe

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
WHAT?!!? Anyone on here keeping fish that cost $1000+ each is using sump filtration I promise you. A properly set up sump is far more efficient and dependable than any canister. Filter socks take care of anything getting to your bio media, and overflows will never allow your tank to drain any lower than the normal level. What is it with you guys and your canister filters? Those things are overpriced toys for rookie fish keepers in my opinion! Sump...fluidized media...filter socks...that is how it's done with large tanks, large expensive fish. Anything else and you are wasting your time and money.
There are pros and cons to every filtration. I see everyone is obsessed with media capacity. Looking at jaws7777 sump above, I can easily fit all that media in my external filters, though I don't use this type of media.

Have you asked yourself why a sump may perform generally better than the average canister filter setup, apart from some already stated facts. Its the increase in water volume capacity rather than the amount of media. Adding 70G of water to a 300G tank for example increases the water volume by 23%, and also the surface area for oxygen and bacterial colony. And generally people that need sumps also have quite the bioload to deal with because they tend to cram as many fish as they feasibly can in those tanks. If one constantly runs out of space in their tanks, every extra bit could be crucial long term.

I know a fishkeeper that is around on forums. His clown loaches are 23 years old now. Trials and errors, he's moved on backwards, to undergravel filters in his clown loach tank, to prevent failure, 23 years success, so my question is....

....When keeping these uber expensive fish with a sump running of one pump, what do you do for redundancy? What happens if you're not around and the pump stops? With multiple filters its very unlikely they all stop working, and if one filter biologically underperforms for one or another reason, the rest will pick up the bioload. And then again, you've got multiple points of failure with sumps, many connections, relying on two glass tanks to not crack or leak. I've had my shares of tank leaks so if its a sump, I'd go with poly and seamless.

The most I do care about is eliminate failure. Keep fish long enough and you'll know what I mean...though some people get lucky...

I had and fx6 and an ac110 on my 150 gal and it was replaced by a lone eheim 2262.
Looks it was underfiltered in the first place, even with the lone eheim super filter so its no surprise a sump did better.

On my 300 gal i would probably need 4 2262's just to hold all the bio i fit in my sump (including foam pads for mech)
Care to show your media amount you keep in the sump?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
There are pros and cons to every filtration. I see everyone is obsessed with media capacity. Looking at jaws7777 sump above, I can easily fit all that media in my external filters, though I don't use this type of media.

Have you asked yourself why a sump may perform generally better than the average canister filter setup, apart from some already stated facts. Its the increase in water volume capacity rather than the amount of media. Adding 70G of water to a 300G tank for example increases the water volume by 23%, and also the surface area for oxygen and bacterial colony. And generally people that need sumps also have quite the bioload to deal with because they tend to cram as many fish as they feasibly can in those tanks. If one constantly runs out of space in their tanks, every extra bit could be crucial long term.

I know a fishkeeper that is around on forums. His clown loaches are 23 years old now. Trials and errors, he's moved on backwards, to undergravel filters in his clown loach tank, to prevent failure, 23 years success, so my question is....

....When keeping these uber expensive fish with a sump running of one pump, what do you do for redundancy? What happens if you're not around and the pump stops? With multiple filters its very unlikely they all stop working, and if one filter biologically underperforms for one or another reason, the rest will pick up the bioload. And then again, you've got multiple points of failure with sumps, many connections, relying on two glass tanks to not crack or leak. I've had my shares of tank leaks so if its a sump, I'd go with poly and seamless.

The most I do care about is eliminate failure. Keep fish long enough and you'll know what I mean...though some people get lucky...

Looks it was underfiltered in the first place, even with the lone eheim super filter so its no surprise a sump did better.

First off, J jaws7777 sump is pictured at the top of this page. He has a lot of media in it, and could still fit more if he wanted.

As for the redundancy, and many others, run two smaller pumps instead of one large one. That way, if one of the pumps fails I will still have half of the flow. This did happen once when one of them failed to start properly after a power glitch. The other started though and kept my system running at half flow. I also make sure to never fill my tank to the point that the sump will overflow if the power goes out. I also have 2" of open space above the baffles so that water can overflow over them in the event of a clog.

As for connections, canisters have connections too, so they could have the same issues if connections come apart.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

What external filter are you using ?

Your not understanding me or i am not explaining correctly. The lone eheim super filter out performed the fx and ac how is that being under filtered whrn the water is ctystal clear and never a trace of ammonia or nitrite ?

Lets see i added 20 L of matrix plus the existing laundry bag of 5 L and the mix of matrix, substrate pro, and biomax that was kept in the 2262. So eyeballing it i would say a little over 30L of bio.

Plus with a sump all your equipment is hidden ans have room to tinker with denitrate filters, algae scrubbers, and othe such gadgets while keeping everyrhi g out of the display.

First off, J jaws7777 sump is pictured at the top of this page. He has a lot of media in it, and could still fit more if he wanted.

As for the redundancy, and many others, run two smaller pumps instead of one large one. That way, if one of the pumps fails I will still have half of the flow. This did happen once when one of them failed to start properly after a power glitch. The other started though and kept my system running at half flow. I also make sure to never fill my tank to the point that the sump will overflow if the power goes out. I also have 2" of open space above the baffles so that water can overflow over them in the event of a clog.

As for connections, canisters have connections too, so they could have the same issues if connections come apart.
Bingo !

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Your not understanding me or i am not explaining correctly. The lone eheim super filter out performed the fx and ac how is that being under filtered whrn the water is ctystal clear and never a trace of ammonia or nitrite ?
I understood perfectly. There was nothing wrong with your explanation. You were comparing FX6 plus a small filter to an Eheim 2622. I quoted that because neither combo is excessive filtration. The Eheim has quite the flow I agree....Regardless, as you mentioned, you had no problem with water quality when using cannisters....

ets see i added 20 L of matrix plus the existing laundry bag of 5 L and the mix of matrix, substrate pro, and biomax that was kept in the 2262. So eyeballing it i would say a little over 30L of bio.
I currently have 3 canister filters, 20l each, total 60 litres. I can surely squeeze 30l ofmedia amongst them.....As I said, its the extra water volume that matters, the media is plenty in either scenario and extra water volume can be achieved with a larger tank and less fish.

That's exactly the picture I was looking at.

GoldFinger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2017
Ontario
If I'm only keeping one Arowana, four discus and potentially a ray; am I really going to have bad water quality and clarity with two FX6's and a solid water change regiment. As long as I'm on top of cleaning the canisters (which is simple as unlatching the top and pulling out a basket) how can I go wrong? I was told I was going to be almost over filtering when I bought them now you guys are scaring the **** out of me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store