|Arowana Minimum Tank Size?

Fish Guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Newfoundland,Canada
I have been thinking of stock ideas for my work in progress indoor pond and I have been interested in keeping an Arowana but certainly do not want to jump into it. I have been doing some research but am finding a lot of varying minimum size requirements. So I figured I would simply ask.
The size of the pond is approximately 69" x 63" x 24". But it does taper down however, so the actual gallons of the pond is 347G.

Fish Guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Newfoundland,Canada
I do realize of course there are different species of Arowana's with different size requirements, but I guess which ever species would be best suited for that sized tank/pond will be the one I can start checking for availability at my LFS. Thanks.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I do realize of course there are different species of Arowana's with different size requirements, but I guess which ever species would be best suited for that sized tank/pond will be the one I can start checking for availability at my LFS. Thanks.

Jardini would be a good choice.

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
are we now talkin about pond or tank?..

pond i can not comment, but for tank the VERY MINIMUM in my experience of keeping 3 super red arowana in 3 different size of tanks, it would be 6ft Length, and 2.5ft Wide.

in the future, since i live in a tropical climate region, i would love to have a pond with at least 10ft long, and 5ft wide. something like this.

slide 2.jpg

Fish Guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Newfoundland,Canada
Sorry for the confusion, I am referring to a 340G indoor pond.
Yeah I'm on the fence with the Arowana because of its size requirements and I am unsure of its compatibility, due to its large mouth. I was thinking of a group of African butterfly fish but I'm sure the arowana would make a snack out of them.

bicboihulk

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2016
wouldn't it be easier for arowana to just jump out? covering a pond just defeats the purpose doesn't it?

giar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2016
Indonesia
You can make the front glass wall higher maybe? So no need to put cover.

Fish Guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Newfoundland,Canada
I do plan on covering the pond with a thin piece of plexi glass just to keep evaporation down. But of course when I'm home I'll have the cover off so you can actually see the fish. But with saying that if once I see how the ventilation handles the humidity with the new pond being uncovers I may not cover it as often. I have raised sides on the pond to prevent any jumping fish from actually hitting the floor. I figured if they only end up on the edge there is a better chance of them ending back in the water.
But from the minimum size requirements that have been mentioned thus far I am not sure if an Arowana will suit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store