Cheap Big Cardboard Aquarium?

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjsyIzmqMPTAhXC7CYKHZF_ALYQFghrMAo&url=http://outlivetheoutbreak.com/cardboard-box-water-tank/&usg=AFQjCNGuWpmhFroWNSbTrxYp80fClua4Gw&sig2=NlyYHwQt-1-MGtJwMJGcsA
Basically, take a cardboard box (I would double or triple it), paint it, line it with shopping bags (either HDPLE or LDPLE, both aquarium safe) (I would double or triple these, too) and melt them together with a soddering iron or a heated flathead screwdriver, cut a hole for a glass/acrylic window, line the inside with a 3D foam backgrounds to protect the bags, cut a nice sheet of wood to hide the cardboard, stick that in front, put the whole thing on a piece of plywood on a fish tank stand, and you have a big tank for (almost) free. You could use 2x4s for braces or reinforcing the cardboard.
The problem with this plan (assuming it actually works) is if you are going to go through the expense/labor of adding a glass or acrylic window, and reinforcing with 2 x 4, why wouldn't you just spend a little bit more and use 3/4" plywood instead of cardboard? And a proper liner instead of a bag?

Now if you just want a big box to line with a bag to temporary keep fish, I can see the cost savings. I would not do it myself though. If you want something like that, why not just get a stock tank like this:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...oam-stock-tanks-100-gal-capacity?cm_vc=-10005

You might have to replace the plug in the bottom with a bulkhead if it leaks (sometimes they do), but $64 for a 100 gallon tank that you know will not spontaneously fail.

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
I can see where this would be handy in a pinch. But this is also why god made reusable buckets, totes, coolers, and $/gallon sales.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I can see where this would be handy in a pinch. But this is also why god made reusable buckets, totes, coolers, and $/gallon sales.
For a 40g, even at $1 per gallon, you could save $35. That is not to be laughed at
The problem with this plan (assuming it actually works) is if you are going to go through the expense/labor of adding a glass or acrylic window, and reinforcing with 2 x 4, why wouldn't you just spend a little bit more and use 3/4" plywood instead of cardboard? And a proper liner instead of a bag?
You have a strong point there. The cardboard is not really cheaper enough than wood, unless either the tank is small or you build the stand out of cardboard as well, but I think the time it would take would be prohibitive. For a sump, I think this really does beat a rubbermaid, and like you said, for a hospital tank. I intend to try to weld layers of seran wrap with a heat gun/hairdryer, as that would be much easier to use than shopping bags, stronger than a pond liner, and cheaper than both pond liner and epoxy.
To sum it up:
I think this makes sense for
1. Small tanks <50g
2. Sumps
3. Hospital/Quarantine tanks
4. Stands

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
As soon as this gets wet...... we will all be entertained.
For a 40g, even at $1 per gallon, you could save $35. That is not to be laughed at

You have a strong point there. The cardboard is not really cheaper enough than wood, unless either the tank is small or you build the stand out of cardboard as well, but I think the time it would take would be prohibitive. For a sump, I think this really does beat a rubbermaid, and like you said, for a hospital tank. I intend to try to weld layers of seran wrap with a heat gun/hairdryer, as that would be much easier to use than shopping bags, stronger than a pond liner, and cheaper than both pond liner and epoxy.
To sum it up:
I think this makes sense for
1. Small tanks <50g
2. Sumps
3. Hospital/Quarantine tanks
4. Stands
Sorry, I can't get behind this. There are too many better options. Unless you are keeping fish hobo style, I don't see the utility. And if you are keeping fish hobo style, well, I have lots of additional questions for you.

As for the bets, I'll raise the piece of gravel a snail shell.

paulW

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
ohio
But let's assume a cardboard tank works, it holds water well (Big assumption)
Now you have a box that you really can't view your fish good.
I was moving fish around, I had about 12 rubbermaid containers, about 15 gallons each that I had fancy guppies in on the floor.. It was just not fun to keep small fish in that way. Now the people that make huge indoor ponds with large fish.. that is different.

It is worth the extra money to actually see the fish.. I see why people want to spend money, but why skimp on the tank when you are going to have to spend money on lights, filtration, fish, food, etc.. $35 really is not that much when you look at the lifetime of costs for a 40 gallon.. Plus, think of all the time that it would take to build that carboard tank, test for leaks, etc and then you end up with something that is risky and could break at any time (probably killing at least $35 in fish)..

IF money is tight, get a part time job for $8 an hour and work one evening.. Now you have your money to buy a glass tank.. It would take more than an evening to make a carboard tank and then you still don't know how long it will last (even it it initially holds water).

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
As soon as this gets wet...... we will all be entertained.

Sorry, I can't get behind this. There are too many better options. Unless you are keeping fish hobo style, I don't see the utility. And if you are keeping fish hobo style, well, I have lots of additional questions for you.

As for the bets, I'll raise the piece of gravel a snail shell.
LOL!

I'll up you 4 common plecos and a neon tetra
Gentlemen,place your bets!

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Are the bets for or against? If they are all against me, I think I will soon have a 40g with:
Stock: 4 common plecos, 1 neon tetra
Decor: 1 piece gravel, one snail shell
AND I will have $5 to spend!
Why don't you build one and show us?

It looks cheap and easy.
I am having finals now, (studying), but as soon as I can I will build it. AND I will collect the bets!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store