An Ancient Themed Tank

Com3backKid

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2017
Hey everyone!! I'm new here, and I signed up just to get opinions lol. So I set up a 75 gal, tank dimensions: 18"L x 48"W x 21"H, and I'm a big dino enthusiast. Currently in the tank I have 3 Convict Cichlids, a Red Devil, a Belly Crawler Pike Cichlid, a Pleco and 2 goldfish that have grown too big for the pike to eat. In your opinions, what would be a good addition for the theme or is my population count at a max? Gars are obviously too big, as well as Arowanas and Lungfish.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Your already well overstocked.
The smallest ancient species I can think of off the top of my head would be polypterus palmas.
However i do recommend you thin your stock right down before considering any more fish.
If your red devil is a male, he alone will outgrow your tank and will probably start attacking your other fish.

Reactions: tlindsey

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I do agree that adding anything to the 75 would result in an overstocked tank. I'm also kind of confused because none of those fish really scream ancient to me.

You can achieve an ancient themed tank in a 75 but would have to thin out your herd some first. Polypterus Senegalus would have no problem living out it's entire life in a 75. But, Poly's + Plecos is a no-no generally speaking. There's also some smaller knives you can look into that would fit the bill. African butterfly fish stay small and are remarkably similar to Arowana, they're related.

Com3backKid

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2017
I agree that none of the fish scream ancient, but I have had them for a while now, except for the Devil. I was thinking outside the box, as what are some characteristics of dinosaurs, such as herding behavior, physical trait such as teeth, frills, large sails, camo ability, armor scaling and such. I've taken the African Butterfly into consideration, but I'm worried the pike may think it's a meal .. I love bichirs but I'm afraid I'll be overstocked when it reaches adulthood. I was thinking maybe a small school of Red Eye Monk Tetras, but afraid they'll be food as well. Although, IYO if I'm already at my stocking limits, I think I'll hold off.

Com3backKid

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2017
Your already well overstocked.
The smallest ancient species I can think of off the top of my head would be polypterus palmas.
However i do recommend you thin your stock right down before considering any more fish.
If your red devil is a male, he alone will outgrow your tank and will probably start attacking your other fish.
Thanks for the advice. I may move my convicts to the original tank. What's a normal growth rate for a Red Devil?

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
So many variables, depending on diet and feedings, water changes,tank size and genetics.
I would expect around 10 inches in a year to be some where near.

Com3backKid

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2017
So many variables, depending on diet and feedings, water changes,tank size and genetics.
I would expect around 10 inches in a year to be some where near.
And they max out around 14 inches right? Depending on the variables?

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
Ditch the red-devil and the goldfish... they get too big and/or are not compatible long-term with your convicts and pike in terms of temperament. Are the convicts the same sex? If so, that'll probably work. If not, this probably won't work out.

Most of us hear dinosaur and think of fish that are non-teleost... that is, something other than a teleost. Most fish are teleosts, including some very weird ones, like plecos. The non-teleost's include gars, bichirs, and a few other seldom-seen fish like lung fish. These fish aren't "old" so much as they are different. Modern-weirdos represent types of fish that aren't nearly as common anymore in terms of species diversity.

If you want to add one of these weirdos to your convict/pike/pleco tank, small bichirs are a good fit... Polypterus senegalus would be my pick.

If you want to keep something that is truly like a dinosaur, get some chickens :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Stanzzzz7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store