Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hello; Yes at least one was killed according to the news on the radio one fine day. Never heard a follow up about who was charged or jailed over he incident.

Back in the 1970's my first wife's brother and his friends got into off road 4x4's and cooking goats back in the woods. I was never able to go along as I could not afford a 4x4 at the time. I recall stopping by is place one day with the wife. His Bronco was beat all to hades. While it is not uncommon to rub a tree or rock or to dent a bumper , this was extensive damage to what had been a decent truck. Turns out that around the second day of roasting a goat and drinking they had started crashing into each others trucks on the trails as well as the natural trees and rocks.
Hah!....one fine day.....and it sounds like those old boys steared themselves into an expensive and potentially dangerous game of bumper cars.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hah!....one fine day.....and it sounds like those old boys steared themselves into an expensive and potentially dangerous game of bumper cars.
Hello; Yes they did. Did not last. Before too long they were broke and their once fine automobiles were trashed. It has been my observation that many ideas we have when drinking turn out to not be outstanding ideas.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Hershey has announced they will be reducing the amount of calories in their candy bars and have also openly admitted they will be adjusting the size of them.

In plain English, you will pay the same for less candy.

https://www.yahoo.com/style/hershey-just-announced-major-change-175155382.html
I was at the store today and looked over some candy bars. The regular size used to be 2.1 oz(snickers, butterfingers) now they are 1.9oz. King size used to be 4.2oz and is now 3.8oz. So, as I suspected the downsizing already happened. Now, it' suppose to happen again... and the price keeps going up.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I was at the store today and looked over some candy bars. The regular size used to be 2.1 oz(snickers, butterfingers) now they are 1.9oz. King size used to be 4.2oz and is now 3.8oz. So, as I suspected the downsizing already happened. Now, it' suppose to happen again... and the price keeps going up.
.....then,it's time to stop buying them.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
.....then,it's time to stop buying them.
Hello; That is what I have been doing. When the four pack of Reecees cups got to over a dollar I stopped buying them. I have done the same thing at Krogers when the pints of ice cream when to over a dollar.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hello; That is what I have been doing. When the four pack of Reecees cups got to over a dollar I stopped buying them. I have done the same thing at Krogers when the pints of ice cream when to over a dollar.
It's the only way to show them, and hopefully enough consumers sends the message when companies pull crap like this....similarly,our illustrious mayor has imposed a separate sales tax on all soda and so called sugary drinks that are to be sold in the city.Quite a few people have stuck to their guns and refused to buy any of the drinks at the inflated prices and some soft drink companies have begun to pull their products from stores due to the drop in sales.
It is not the retailers fault of course but the consumers are not happy and they have spoken.

Reactions: skjl47

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Here is another thing I find aggravating. It seems so many folks wind up shopping for car payments rather than concentrating on the price of a car/truck. Right away a sales man/woman tries to find out if you are planning to finance. They then get you to tell the payment you want. After that you are likely to wind up paying too much for the car/truck.

I save up and have the cash on hand when car shopping. The dealers are not as happy with me as they do not get the large extra profit that goes with financing. This also has the effect of driving up the price of a car/truck that the dealer will stick to.

If you have not already done so, do a search for tips on saving money while car shopping.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I actually don't mind the tax on cigs, soda, and alcohol (and our state has one of the highest alcohol taxes out there). If I have to pay higher insurance for people choosing to be unhealthy, I don't mind them (and even me) paying a little extra to help offset that. But I'm just a grumpy old man. Heh.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
In this town,the revenue from the extra tax is supposed to go toward funding early childhood education programs which I think is a crock of crap as I think the public school budget should cover that..I don't trust them to spend the money on where they say they will....always crying broke,either someone is stealing or mismanaging funds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store